Chapter 3

It was as if everything irritated her now.

Just the thought of having to stay after school for today and tomorrow was forcing her to try to calm her raging nerves. Firstly, she would have to probably go to work late or miss work altogether. And secondly, well, the inevitable - no payment if that were to happen.

Ifunanya was furious.

And the voice that was now telling her to stay in line was adding to her fury.

"Can you just stay on one spot and stop moving that fat body of yours?"

She knew who that voice behind her belonged to - Sharon, one of Evelyn's minions. She turned slightly and made a face at her, making the girl groan quietly and keep her mouth shut. Ifunanya wondered, was it her fault that she'd inherited her thick thighs and bust with obvious curves from her mother? This was one thing that Evelyn and her gang of friends never stopped teasing her about when they got the chance.

But Ifunanya had long since stopped letting their rude remarks bother her.

One time they even said she was as dark as tar. But Ifunanya knew it was just out of mere jealousy.

She was no longer the thirteen year old girl that was bothered by such immaturity. She released a sigh when she felt a hand on her shoulder as she tried to listen to what the principal was announcing.

"I just hate that they didn't punish her as well." Ayomide said quietly from where she was standing in front of her.

"Yes, but Evelyn will get her own reward one way or another. She better thank her stars that she is not here, and that she is hiding away at the hospital." Priye added in front of Ayomide, heaving a hiss afterwards.

Ifunanya nodded and thanked her friends as she forced her mind to continue to focus. She and her friends were standing on the line that belonged to the A'levels students of the school. The boys stood on one line, and the girls on a separate line. The lines went from the students who were in the early years of checkpoint, to the ones preparing for their IGCSE, to the ones in the first year of the A'levels program (the AS program), and finally to her set - the students in the second and final year of the A'levels program. Needless to say, her set was the oldest - or seniors - in the school.

"- and we will not tolerate any fighting in this school. Let this be a warning to everyone else." Mr. Elvis continued, looking directly at Ifunanya. And to say that she hated it, was an understatement. She was just glad he hadn't singled her out in front of the whole school.

Not wanting to bear his eyes on her any longer, she removed her gaze from him and turned it somewhere else.

And the gaze that met hers when she unintentionally met his eyes - caused her to swallow a lump in the pit of her stomach.

Was he staring at her or was she imagining it?

She could feel his gaze on hers as if he was standing directly in front of her. But he was standing in front of the whole school, next to the other teachers and staff of the school, and the principal, as he continued his speech. But Ifunanya was still sure that Mr. Oyi was looking directly at her. She was sure because she could see it clearly through her glasses. She was farsighted so there was no way she was imagining this. 

She blinked twice, gritting her teeth from the uneasiness she felt from his gaze. Why was he staring at her like that? She knew Mr. Oyi was a new teacher who started teaching at the school not even two months ago. And he'd never taught her, although he taught her friends Math; but he taught Ayomide Religious Studies as well. She'd never spoken to him before; so why was he looking at her as if he had something in mind?