Chapter 6

Ifunanya was trying not to panic. At this point, she knew she was pretty much late for her Biology class.

Taking in deep breaths and releasing one breath after another, she swallowed a lump, forcefully pushing it down her throat as she tried again to look around. But nothing was working. Evelyn was right. She might as well be blind right now. Everything was blurry and any image that managed to even form at her retina was almost dark.

But to her utmost relief, she heard voices coming from down the hallway. She turned around to the other side and tried to see who they were. She barely registered the image when the voices drew nearer. 

"What are you doing here standing like you are lost?"

Yes, I most definitely look lost, I can't deny that.

And she recognized that voice.

Miss Anita.

She tried not to show how irritated she was feeling right now. 

"My glasses. Please could you help me with my glasses, ma?" She managed to ask as politely as she could.

Then she heard a scoff. "What glasses? This?"

Ifunanya then stretched out her hand to grab what looked like her glasses, but to her dismay, Miss Anita had dropped it and kicked it further away. The other teacher then began laughing.

Ifunanya knew who she was as well.

"Please, ma! I'm late for class! Please." She pleaded, but it looked like she was bound to attract more enemies. What did she ever do to Miss Anita and Miss Taiwo to cause these women to treat her like this? She felt a tear slip down her face as she heard their voices fading away.

Wiping her face with the back of her hand, she tried to take in controlled breaths. There was no time to panic anymore. All she had to do was stay still, maybe grovel a little bit to try and find her glasses. And that was what she did. Nestling her school bag close enough to her shoulders, she got on her knees gently and began searching the floor with her hands, spreading her arms in front of her and around her wide enough so she could cover more grounds. Why had she not inherited good eyes from her parents?

She felt a little exhausted by the time she got back up and released another deep sigh. She felt hungry, too. At this point, there was no need to worry about Biology.

She just wouldn't be able to make it to her class.

She'd just get the notes from one of her classmates. As she began moving towards one of the ceramic pillars that was at the corner of the hallway, she heard some footsteps approaching her direction. Not trying to be too hopeful, she reluctantly turned around, shaking the dust off her skirt when she looked away in the distance to find two people approaching her. They didn't seem to notice her predicament at first, but as they drew closer, Ifunanya felt a surge of relief when one of them fastened his pace towards her.

And she knew exactly who he was.

"Are you okay?" Mr. Oyi asked, and there was no missing the concern in his voice. The other teacher whom Ifunanya immediately recognized as her English Literature teacher, Mr Aigbe, came towards her as well.

Ifunanya swallowed a lump as she tried to gather her thoughts. Why was Mr. Oyi looking at her like that?

She quickly snapped out of it as she noticed the worry increase on his face. 

"My glasses, sir. It's around here somewhere." She answered, looking around and using the opportunity to free herself from the comforting hold of Mr. Oyi. She did not understand why the fact that he was holding her sent a thrilling chill down her body. All these stupid thoughts would just get her into trouble, she thought, as she pointed at where the glasses might be.