Chapter 5

The light from the nightstand was enough to stir Gabriel up from his nap as he opened his eyes and found Anita bending over him. He blinked twice, letting his tired eyes rest on her light skinned complexion. 

A smile tugged at his lips when she smiled down at him.

He then sat up and began leaning towards her.

"No. Uh huh." She shook her head, placing her right forefinger over his lips.

Brows furrowed, Gabriel pouted. "Just one quick kiss, babe."

"Hmm. Okay." She replied, chuckling as she leaned towards him for a kiss. Gabriel kissed her and lingered, nibbling on her lower lip and eliciting a moan from her.

Forcefully, Anita pulled away. "I cooked beans and plantains. You need to start getting ready."

He made another attempt to pout, leaning forward again, but Anita chuckled and averted his lips.

Realization dawned on him then as he jumped out of bed. "Right. The guys will soon be here."

"Mm hmm." She said, sitting down on the bed and watching him take off his trousers.

"Aren't you supposed to be leaving now?" He asked as soon as his trousers hit the ground.

And Anita grimaced. "Can't I stay?"

Gabriel shook his head. "No. You know the guys and I hang out today, babe."

He could already hear the frown in his voice. And he was trying to not let her think he was rejecting her. But it was like this all the time - Anita trying to talk him into letting her stay even when she knew that he spent Tuesday nights with his friends.

He sighed and came closer to her. "I'll call you later, okay? I appreciate you cooking for us."

Lifting her lips up in a frown, she sighed. She then got up and nodded. "Okay. I'll leave now then. Just don't forget to call me."

Gabriel managed a smile. "I won't."

She leaned closer for another kiss. "I love you. Say Hi to the guys for me."

"I will." He replied, pressing another kiss to her lips. "I love you, too." He replied.

About thirty minutes later, Gabriel made his way downstairs when he heard the doorbell ring.

"Hey, the prince of kuvuki land! What's up, man?" Roland - his best friend, asked, stretching his hand and pulling him for a bro hug. Steven came in afterwards with a bottle of wine. "How far my guy?" {=>How far my guy? - How are you, man/bro?<=} He asked, extending his arm for a bro hug before letting Gabriel retrieve the bottle of wine from him.

"Oh boy wetin dey cook? Smells nice, whatever it is." Steven continued. {=>Oh boy wetin dey cook? - What's cooking, man?...<=}

"Oh, Anita made some beans and plantains. Help yourselves." Gabriel turned around briefly before turning back towards the dining table and placing the bottle on it. 

"That your girlfriend na the real deal be that ooo." {=>Your girlfriend is the real deal<=} Steven began as he helped himself to the kitchen. "Wow. Marry that woman already." He added, scooping up a piece of plantain after another on his plate.

Gabriel squinted his eyes as he proceeded to bring out some wine glasses from the cabinet. But before he could say anything, Roland spoke up, "Let the guy take his time."

"At least there's more than one person with some common sense here." Gabriel said, placing three wine glasses on the dining table.

"Honestly, you seem to forget that you have less than a year -"