Chapter 2

Ifunanya raised her head up and quickly got up and turned around to find Evelyn with a smirk on her face, her gang of friends laughing at her predicament.

"So it's you." She hissed. "And I was thinking it was someone worth my time."

She proceeded to walk away when Evelyn threw a punch at her. Quickly, she narrowly missed the blow, pushing Evelyn hard to the ground, and then doing the same thing with her two friends.

"You minions." She spat the words. "You better go find yourselves someone worth spending your time with." She then proceeded to slap Evelyn across the face, pushing her further to the school's gate and hoping the security men or any of the teachers or students who were still at the school wouldn't come out.

When she saw that her opponents were now struggling to find their balance, she moved away and quickly waved at a passing motorcyclist. A few seconds later, the motorcyclist stopped for her to get on. Glancing one last time at her opponents, she mounted on the motorcycle and then was on her way.

~~~~

Darkness surrounded her as she turned open the door to get in the self contain house she shared with her aunt and her aunt's husband. Her stomach growled by the time she made it past the small living room area. A frown creased her face when she remembered that she'd barely had anything to eat other than the lunch at school.

And it didn't help that her manager at work made it clear that no one ate from the food prepared at the job. 

But before she made it to the kitchen, the lights flipped on.

Startled, she turned around to find her aunt staring at her.

Ifunanya took a step back.

"Aunty, I didn't see you there."

Ugo eyed her niece. "Why would you? When you were busy fighting today, ehn?" {=>EHN - FOR EMPHASIS<=}

Ifunanya became wide-eyed. Of course it was that stupid Evelyn who must have something to do with this. How else would her aunt have known about what happened today at school?

"Aunty, what is it?" Ifunanya asked, a frown creasing her face.

Ugo got up. "Ifunanya, nwa m, how many times have I warned you to stay away from these fights? Is this how you want to continue until you get to university?" {=>NWA M - MY CHILD<=}

"Ah, aunty, no oo, Evelyn started it na. I couldn't just stand there and watch her beat me." {=>NA - FOR EMPHASIS<=}

Ugo shook her head. "I got a call from your principal today that you fought one Evelyn. Now they are asking me to come tomorrow morning with you."

Ifunanya's mouth fell open slightly. "Ehn? That stupid girl didn't tell them that she started it, ba?" {=>WHAT? THAT STUPID GIRL DIDN'T TELL THEM THAT SHE STARTED IT, RIGHT?<=}

Ugo continued to eye her niece. "Do you think that'll matter now? Who knows what they're going to do to you tomorrow. Bia, just go and eat and go to sleep. We'll see tomorrow. You better thank your stars that I was the one around to pick the call. If your uncle had been the one, you and I would not be having this conversation now." {=>BIA - COME<=}

And with that, Ugo turned around and left for the room she shared with Aka, her husband who was already sleeping.

Ifunanya slumped on the couch and began biting the inside of her lower lip. Whatever laid ahead for her, she was certain it wasn't going to be as bad as the beating she'd given Evelyn and her minions today. That girl deserved it, she thought.