Chapter 30: Polyjuice Potion

╔⏤⏤⏤╝❀╚⏤⏤⏤╗

𝘠𝘦𝘢𝘳 2 𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 30: 𝘗𝘰𝘭𝘺𝘫𝘶𝘪𝘤𝘦 𝘱𝘰𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯

𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘯𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘴𝘺𝘮𝘣𝘰𝘭; 𝘴𝘭𝘦𝘦𝘬 𝘱𝘰𝘸𝘦𝘳𝘧𝘶𝘭 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘧𝘳𝘦𝘲𝘶𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘭𝘺 𝘮𝘪𝘴𝘶𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘰𝘥

╚⏤⏤⏤╗❀╔⏤⏤⏤╝

"I always knew Salazar Slytherin was a twisted old loony," Ron exclaimed to Harry, Hermione, and me, as we made our way through the crowded corridors after class to drop off our bags before heading for dinner. "But I never knew he started all this pure-blood stuff. I wouldn't be in his house if you paid me. Honestly, if the Sorting Hat had tried to put me in Slytherin, I'd've got the train straight back home..."

Hermione fervently nodded in agreement.

However, I couldn't help but frown at Ron's comment, as Sev was someone who is in Slytherin and has always been kind to me.

"Why are you frowning, Y/n?" Harry asked, concerned.

"It's nothing," I replied with a smile.

As we were swept along by the crowd, Colin Creevy passed by us.

"Hiya, Y/n!" he shouted.

"Hello, Collin" I replied automatically.

"Y/n — Y/n — a boy in my class has been saying you're —" Colin tried to tell me something, but he was so small that he couldn't fight against the tide of people pushing him toward the Great Hall. All we heard was him squeaking, "See you, Y/n!" before disappearing.

"What's a boy in his class saying about you?" Hermione asked.

"He probably thinks I'm Slytherin's heir," I responded, my stomach sinking as I remembered how Justin Finch-Fletchley had avoided me during lunch.

"People here believe anything," said Ron in disgust.

The crowd thinned and they were able to climb the next staircase without difficulty.

"D'you really think there's a Chamber of Secrets?" Ron asked Hermione and me.

"Probably this chamber exists," I said

"I don't know," she said, frowning. "Dumbledore couldn't cure Mrs. Norris, and that makes me think that whatever attacked her might not be...well... human."

As she spoke, they turned a corner and found themselves at the end of the very corridor where the attack had happened. They stopped and looked. The scene was just as it had been that night, except that there was no stiff cat hanging from the torch bracket, and an empty chair stood against the wall bearing the message "The Chamber of Secrets has been Opened."

"That's where Filch has been keeping guard," Ron muttered.

My bag dropped to the floor as we exchanged glances, the hallway empty of any sign of life. With a sense of curiosity, I got down on all fours, crawling along in search of anything that might indicate what had happened here.

"Scorch marks!" I exclaimed, pointing to two distinct areas, my excitement growing.

Harry joined in, "Here - and here!"

Hermione was quick to spot something as well, "Come and look at this!" she said.

We gathered around her, intrigued by what she had found. "This is funny..." she trailed off.