Chapter 20: A Howler for Me?

╔⏤⏤⏤╝❀╚⏤⏤⏤╗

𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 20: 𝐴 𝐻𝑜𝑤𝑙𝑒𝑟 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑀𝑒?

"𝑂ℎ 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑓𝑢𝑐𝑘𝑠 𝑠𝑎𝑘𝑒 ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑒 𝑤𝑒 𝑔𝑜 𝑎𝑔𝑎𝑖𝑛"

╚⏤⏤⏤╗❀╔⏤⏤⏤╝

The following day, Hermione and I woke up and waited for Harry and Ron before heading to the great hall together. Once there, we saw the four long tables stacked high with porridge, kippers, toast, eggs, and bacon. We took our seats at the Gryffindor table, with Hermione nestled beside me and her copy of Voyages with Vampires propped open against the milk jug. Ron, who was seated next to Harry, glanced over at Hermione with a look of disgust.

"Hermione, it's early in the morning, and you're already reading?" he said.

"Of course," Hermione chuckled.

Neville arrived, took a seat next to Harry, and greeted us.

"Good morning, Y/n, Hermione, Ron, Harry," Neville said.

"Good morning," we replied in unison.

"Mail's due any minute. I think Gran's sending a few things I forgot," he added.

As I sat down to enjoy my breakfast of bacon and eggs, I suddenly heard a rushing sound overhead. Before I knew it, over a hundred owls had flown into the hall, circling and dropping letters and packages into the chattering crowd. Neville was hit with a big, lumpy package and Hermione's jug was splattered with milk and feathers from a large, grey package.

"Errol!" Ron gasped, recognizing one of the owls.

Suddenly, I saw Hedwig flying over to me, carrying a red envelope.

"Hedwig! There you are, I've been wondering where you've been," I said, greeting her. "And what's this?" I asked, examining the envelope.

"Oh no, Y/n, you got one too," Ron said, sounding faint.

"What? Why? What does this mean?" I asked, confused.

"It's a Howler, Y/n," Hermione explained.

"A what now?" I asked, genuinely puzzled.

"It's a magical letter in a red envelope that enchants the written message into the writer's voice," Hermione clarified.

"Okay, thanks, A Howler for me? How lovely," I said sarcastically.

"You guys better open it, Ron and Y/n. It'll be worse if you don't. My gran sent me one once, and I ignored it...it was horrible," Neville warned, gulping.

"I'm curious – who's going to open their envelope first?" I asked Ron with a grin.

"Would it be all right if you went first?" Ron asked, looking nervous.

"Sure, let's see what I've got here," I replied.

"I don't understand how you can be so calm," Harry said, sounding bewildered.

I just smiled and chuckled as I opened the envelope. Suddenly, a loud roar filled the hall.

"Y/N GRIMBLEHAWK! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU FLEW A FLYING CAR TO HOGWARTS AND WERE SPOTTED BY MUGGLES! YOU'RE LUCKY YOU'RE NOT EXPELLED YET. WAIT UNTIL LILY HEARS ABOUT THIS – SHE'LL NAG YOU ALL SUMMER!" I could hear James' furious voice.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting such a reaction. Harry looked at me, Ron seemed terrified, and Hermione was staring right at me.

"YOUR BEHAVIOR COULD HAVE GOTTEN YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS INJURED OR WORSE – DEAD. YOU'VE GOT NO IDEA HOW LUCKY YOU ARE. JUST WAIT UNTIL YOU COME HOME. ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVABLE!"