Volume 1 - Ch. 1 Classroom of Talent Supremacy

"Talent"

The word "Talent" meaning innate possession, and the word "Ability" meaning the ability to do something, when these words combine, the ability to demonstrate power in a certain matter that one possesses from birth.

In other words, talent can be defined as the innate ability one possesses.

However, there are differing opinions on this definition.

Some argue that talent is not innate but acquired through effort, in other words, through hard work.

The discussion about talent is always marked by the clash of these two claims. This disagreement is not only among contemporary intellectuals but also among past great philosophers.

The conflict between Locke and Descartes is a very clear example.

To briefly explain, they were individuals who developed influential philosophies known as empiricism and rationalism around the 17th century. Locke advocated empiricism, while Descartes advocated rationalism.

Explaining the differences between these two philosophies would take time, so I won't go into further detail, but it's important to remember that empiricism and rationalism are opposing ways of thinking.

The reason they clashed can be summed up in one word: innate ideas. It is the agreement or disagreement regarding the belief that humans possess the ability to judge good and evil from birth. Descartes claimed that rational thinking, or "good sense," is given equally to everyone from birth.

In contrast, Locke argued that humans are born as a "blank slate," in other words, a completely blank state, and all knowledge comes from experience.

The fundamental difference between the ideas of innate and acquired may lie here. And this way of thinking leads to the discussion of talent, and further, it may even leap to the discussion of "equality."

Now, let's consider what equality means.

I would like those of you who have listened to my talk thus far to answer a question.

Question: Are humans equal or not?

What does equality mean in modern society? The word "equality" is used frequently as a slogan in modernized societies.

If we trace back through history, we can find countless examples of discrimination, so numerous that we can't even count them with both hands. And even now, there are still a significant number of discriminations that persist.

People discriminate against those who are born with any kind of abnormality, labeling them as "disabled" and subjecting them to discrimination. If we further narrow it down within the scope of society, we come across the term "buraku discrimination."

It would be a waste of time to delve deeper into these examples, so let's state the conclusion first.

Humans are not equal at all.

In the society we currently live in, discrimination is more evident than equality.

And this is particularly pronounced in the context of labor.

There are "users" and "the used," and it's well said that the latter has become an important cog in society. They are replaceable entities, and once a cog malfunctions, it is immediately discarded without any repairs.

The former only utilizes the latter and can obtain immense wealth and enjoy life. The concept of equality barely comes to mind.

It is a society that is both wonderful and despairing. Karl Marx's concerns have indeed come true.