Chapter 4 - Fall of Grand Isle Safe Zone (Part 1)

Author's note: Hey everyone, I've set up a Ko-Fi account where all of you can support me through tipping and you have free access to view WIP/Sneak peeks for future chapters of both Hellwave and MechaFighters story. Also in future, new upcoming original fic stories will be posted there on my Ko-Fi page as well. My Ko-Fi's page link can be found at the end of each chapter for both Hellwave and MechaFighters story.

Disclaimer: This is a work of original fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

Chapter 4 - Fall of Grand Isle Safe Zone (Part 1)

Freida's Personal Room, House Unit 2-4, Residential District, Grand Isle Safe Zone, Grand Isle, Vermont, USA, 8 November 2020, 0042 hrs

The sound of the safe zone's alarm awakes the lieutenant, and she immediately springs out from her bed to wear her ACU (Army Combat Uniform) jacket. Meanwhile, a nearby radio speaker stated that Code Exodus was in effect. Straight away, it alarms 1st-Lieutenant Freida upon hearing the codeword. She thinks the breach of the safe zone's defenses is not just the work of zombies. She believes that the Young Templars were the ones behind the attack. Worried they may kidnap Erika by force, she plans to get Kodey and Erika to leave the safe zone together in her assigned Humvee.

After wearing all of her combat military uniform set, she puts on her IBA (Interceptor Body Armor) military vest. Then she packs all the essential items into her US military Molle backpack in a hurry before carrying it on her back. Next, she slings her M4 Carbine Rifle on her left shoulder before putting on her military ACH (Advanced Combat Helmet). With everything all set and ready to go, 1st-Lieutenant Freida takes the vehicle key from a nearby key holder before leaving the room.

Living Room, House Unit 2-4, Residential District, Grand Isle Safe Zone, Grand Isle, Vermont, USA, 8 November 2020, 0047 hrs

As she closes the door, the lieutenant sees Erika sitting on a sofa in the living room. "Erika, where's Kodey?" Eleanora asks as she doesn't see Kodey's presence in the room. "Mom, Kodey is still in the room packing his stuff," Erika replies. Immediately, 1st-Lieutenant Freida walks to the door of Kodey's room and opens the door. "Kodey!" Eleanora calls out his name as she enters the room. "We have to go to the emergency assembly point, and they will leave us behind if we don't make it in time!"

"Sorry, Mom." Kodey apologized. "I was doing a last-minute check on whether I took all the essential items with me," Kodey explains as he slings his M16A4 assault rifle onto his left shoulder. "Ok, everything is all good. We can leave now. Let's go, Mom." Kodey tells Eleanora before they leave Kodey's room, with the lieutenant closing the door behind them.

Before they leave the house, 1st-Lieutenant Freida wants to give some instructions to both Kodey and Erika first. "Alright, you two. Listen up carefully," Eleanora begins. "Currently, the safe zone is under attack by zombies. However, I don't believe this is just a mere zombie attack. I have a gut feeling that Young Templars are involved as well." The words: Young Templars, alarm both Kodey and Erika as they know it is big trouble if what the lieutenant said is true. "Mom, I don't want to get taken away by them." Erika pleads in a trembling voice. "Don't worry, sweetheart. I won't allow them to take you away from us," Eleanora reassures Erika. "I already got a plan for us to escape from here during the chaos." .