Warning

Holy crap, life just demolished me for months straight without stopping. I could not find any time to work on this until a few days ago.

Also, I'm running out of chapter names. I did not plan those before starting this story.

Finding the rock should have been simple, but it wasn't where she last saw it. The Gorons had moved the rock out of the way, and it took some searching for Midna to find it. Fortunately, it was still close enough for her to use the portal to move it. She thought that would be all the excitement she would experience, but she was in for a surprise when she warped back to Zora's Domain. Although she had warned Link to move, he had gotten involved in a fight and was still in the way. She tried to stop the rock, but she had already dropped it, and it had too much momentum.

She watched in horror as the water washed away Link and the other man and quickly flew after Link. Despite her best efforts, she could not keep up with Link as the water carried him away. Just when she was about to lose sight of him, he pushed himself off a ledge and slammed violently into the ground. She tried to rush to his aid again, but the man from before dropped down from somewhere above her, seemingly unaffected by the fall. As he spoke to Link, Midna finally got a good look at the man and recognized him as one of the masked individuals.

"Midna, open the cages" Midna was hesitant to leave Link alone with the masked man, but what could she do? Her magic wasn't strong enough to fight anyone unless she used the- no. She wasn't doing that.

Reluctantly Midna floated over to the imprisoned Zora and focused her magic on destroying the locks containing them. The locks weren't as weak as the chain she had destroyed in Hyrule Castle when she first found Link, but they seemed to be made in haste and weren't stronger than she could handle. She had only destroyed one lock when she heard the masked man mention poison.

She whipped her head around to see Link on his knees, barely keeping himself upright. Link would die if she didn't do something, so she raised her hand to attack with magic, even if it would only distract the man, but nothing happened. The familiar feeling of the Fused Shadow washed over her, and she froze. She tried to push every ounce of magic she had into overcoming the Fused Shadow, but nothing happened. Who were these masked people, and why was the Fused Shadow protecting them?!

"Some hero you turned out to be," the man said to Link before turning his head to look at Midna. He only briefly glanced at her before drawing a dagger and approaching the downed hero.

"Get back in my shadow!" Link's voice rang in her head. She prayed Link had a plan because she couldn't do anything against the man. Thankful the Fused Shadow would let her move, she flew over to Link and merged with his shadow just before Link ripped the dagger out of his shoulder, plunged it into the masked man's, and grabbed the last piece of light from him.

Groaning slightly, Link sat up, surprised at how good he felt.

"Midna?" He asked but got no answer. Opening his eyes, Link saw that the world around him was white again. "Oh." Getting to his feet, he turned around to see the Hero's Shade standing behind him.

"We meet again," the skeleton spoke, "your efforts have begun to return some vigor to Hyrule, but it is far too early to relax. Especially with your masked assailants wandering the land."

"Do you know who they are?"

"I do not, but clearly, they are very skilled. I had not realized the extent of the danger you face. Your training must be accelerated."

"Wait, you didn't realize?"

"I have never witnessed them, but they are intent on ensuring your demise. If you are to survive, you must improve. Rapidly." The Hero's Shade drew his sword and shield. "Time works differently here, as you have no doubt noticed, and we must take full advantage of this. Others wish to speak to you, but until then, you will train."