Zora's Domain

This story has been going on for a long time, and there's so much more I need to write and not a lot of time to do it, so its going to take a while. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who stayed to read it.

Ice.

There was ice everywhere.

From what Link's frustratingly fickle memory told him, Zora's Domain was a sight to behold. Expert craftsmanship should be everywhere the eye could see, with water that was a perfect temperature flowing soothingly through the domain and Zora always ready to offer kind smiles to any visitors.

Now, all water was frozen solid, trapped midway through its journey to Hyrule. The beautiful architecture lay shattered on the ground, and what remained standing was stained with blood. The kind Zora people were being led out of Link's sight in shackles or lay on the floor unmoving in puddles of blood. Shadow Beasts and Bulbins escorted the few Zora he could see, and countless more patrolled the area. Zora's Domain was no more.

After standing in stunned silence, Link finally processed the fact that he was in the open, grabbed Midna's arm, and dashed behind cover. He ran through everything he just saw in his mind and summed it up in one word.

"Fuck."

"What are you going to do now?" Midna asked, peeking around the corner, "the last of the light has to be up there somewhere."

"Well, I can't just walk in there. There's way too many of them, but I won't be able to touch the bulbins. Wait, the bulbins were solid, but they were leading away prisoners, and they weren't solid. How can they do that?" Link looked to Midna, hoping for an answer, but she shrugged with a confused expression. "Well, whatever the reason, I have to worry about the bulbins and the Shadow Beasts." Link stayed where he was for several minutes before finally forming an idea. "Water!"

"What?"

"Zora's Domain is supposed to be full of water, but someone must have used magic to freeze it. I don't know how that would affect this, but when you try to stop water, it builds pressure. If we can free all that water at once, it might flood the domain and take all of them out at once. The Zora will be fine. They're half aquatic and can breathe underwater."

"I didn't know water worked like that. That's clever... and scary. You're scary, you know that, right?"

"I wish they'd be scared of me. It might make things easier."

"but how are you going to free the water?"

"I'll need your help with that. I remember a giant rock near a portal on death mountain. It came from a volcano, so it should be hot. If you can warp it here, it might work."

"I can try, but I can't promise I'll be able to do it if it's too big. A portal here would help."

"Then we'll have to find one," Link said as he slowly approached the domain, moving slowly and staying low. Zoran architecture gave Link something to hide behind, but patrolling bulbins and Shadow beasts made staying hidden challenging. Despite their brainless demeanor, the Shadow Beasts patrolled in a nearly perfect formation, covering almost every spot Link could hide. The bulbins spread out across most of the domain, patrolling as well but surprisingly less organized. The hero had to take advantage of the smallest openings to make any progress, such as walking sideways between two bulbins when one happened to look the other way and hugging the back of a Shadow Beast as close as possible without touching it, and quickly spinning around it when the beast turned. Finally, Link reached a frozen waterfall and used the gloves given to him by the gorons to protect his hands as he climbed it. After climbing to the second floor, Link spotted a familiar figure wearing black armor and a mask. "Things just got a lot worse."