Twilit Parasite Diababa

Link entered the room apprehensively, unsure what he would face in what seemed to be the final section of the massive tree. There were no other openings into the room aside from rectangular holes in the walls that poured water into a large pool. The water coming from the openings was clear and normal, but the pool itself was stained with a sickly purple. A strange bug species was sitting at the water's edge and drinking from the pool. They were spherical, almost as big as Link's chest, and had four skinny legs.

"Well, unless one of those weird bugs has the Fused Shadow, it looks like you just wasted our time."

"Could it be in the water?" Link pointed at the sickly purple substance, "doing something to it?" The purple liquid gave Link a bad feeling. It reminded him of the gas he nearly died in before. Link slowly approached the water, and a few of the bugs scattered and ran from him and stood a safe distance away from what they perceived as a possible threat. "At least these things don't want to kill me." Link peered into the water, trying to make out any strange shapes inside, but the purple was thick, and he couldn't see anything.

"Well? Is it in there, or can you stop wasting time now?" A low rumbling noise could be heard, and after seeing movement, Link realized there was something in the water, and it was big. The bugs scurried away from the water, and Link decided to follow their lead and moved back. A giant head resembling a deku baba emerged from the water on Link's left and smashed into the wall, causing rubble to fall and block a small hole in the wall that the bugs were fleeing to. With their only exit blocked, the insects ran in any direction they could that would bring them away from danger. A second head emerged opposite the previous and moved closer to Link. If the thing had any eyes, Link would guess it was examining him. The head snapped at Link with its teeth, but the hero quickly moved back to avoid the blow before drawing his sword and shield.

"What do you think a sword is going to do against that?!"

Link wasn't expecting it to do much, but it was a weapon, so it might at least injure the beast before him. Link dodged a few more snaps from the heads and slashed at them each time but did nothing more than make a few cuts. Midna's magic was no help either. Usually, when she blasted something, it was at least stunned for a few seconds, but the giant plant didn't seem to be affected at all. When Midna got too close, it snapped at her but immediately returned its attention to Link when she floated away.

"This thing seems to be focusing on me! Why?!" Link shouted as he ran around the area. There didn't seem to be anywhere the monster couldn't reach, so Link had to keep moving.

"I don't know, but it's really starting to piss me off! Neither of us can do anything!" When Link got close to where the bugs had huddled, they scattered and ran wildly, unsure where to hide. One unfortunate critter scurried right up to Link when the left plant head tried to smash him. Link dived out of the way, feeling sorry for the poor creature, but was surprised when it did something he didn't expect after being smashed. It blew up.

"What the hell?!" Link questioned. He didn't know the name of that bug, but he knew it should not have done that.

"Exploding bugs?! Now I've seen everything! And we haven't even gotten the first piece yet!"

The plant head that crashed into the bug seemed to recoil in pain before it collapsed, dead, and slowly slid back into the water. Link got an idea. Dashing across the room, Link charged at the nearest bug he could find and scooped it up in his arms. The insect thrashed to free itself, and Link struggled to hold on to it.

"Behind you!"

Link turned to see the second plant head heading towards him, mouth open wide to engulf him. The bug had given him too much trouble, and he got distracted.