Chapter 41: Venatio

September 19, 4021 10:00 [Matriarch 04- Sun Rock]

Kaluza gnashed his teeth as he walked onto the field. Under normal circumstances, the energy of the stadium would have fueled his ego greatly as he savored the praise aimed his way. Now, however, he ignored it completely, consumed by fury. His eyes were bloodshot. Indra swallowed a black pill, watching calmly through the elevator window as Kaluza failed miserably to keep his anger in check.

Though others may have seen Indra's actions as cruel, Indra viewed them as a mercy. He was sure that it wasn't just the match that had Kaluza in such a state; the words he had uttered seemed to have cut deep. The interpretation of his statements seemed to trouble Garou as well. Perhaps he wondered why Indra would say something so callous.

As Indra returned to the announcer's booth, he frowned. Why had Garou stared at him like that? Kaluza he could understand—they had never seen eye to eye, but Garou? The worry that spread across his face bothered Indra. Why couldn't they understand? He was warning them for their own good. Even Kaluza deserved to know. The preparations that needed to be undertaken, and the convictions they needed to hold dear—these were essential pieces of information if they were to come out of the forest alive. Indra remembered what the Crow had told him, about the creatures that haunted the final recorded moments of the missing fracking crew: "Grotesque beings; their anatomy was all wrong."

If the hulking figure himself, held in the same regard as the Hyenas, was worried, then Indra was the last person that needed to take things lightly. He would account for every possible measure to ensure their collective success, if not his own.

He ignored Emil's inquiring gaze, filling a spot next to Prasanna. She peered over the balcony, observing the next match with mild interest. She didn't say a word, instead placing a hand over his when he grabbed the railing.

Indra felt a jolt, tightening his grip for a moment. Her touch was comforting, but he couldn't relax just yet. He still didn't know if the nature of her actions and sweet words were genuine or just a ploy to weaken his mental guard. His face betrayed no emotion, remaining listless and stoic. Indra had to remain vigilant until the tournament was over.

Grisha raised her voice, introducing Kaluza and Garou. The crowd hadn't let up since the minute the tournament had started, cheering with all their might before they would take a break between rounds.

"Our final match in the first round is about to begin!! On one side is a wild beast in the form of a man—Garou!! And standing opposite to him is another formidable individual, whose tenacity and unconventional tactics will keep you on the edge of your seat!! Will he fall prey to the wolf, or will he become the hunter? Please welcome, Kaluza!!"

Indra was curious to see how Garou would deal with Kaluza's Trait, expecting him to be eager at the prospect of tearing through his opponent. The wolf remained docile, however, running his fingers through his fluffy hair, absent-mindedly. Pay attention! Indra thought, growing restless at the sight of his teammate tugging on his DIVE Suit with disinterest.

"Candidates! Get ready!!!" Grisha shouted excitedly into the microphone. The crowd's enthusiasm was infectious, even affecting the announcer. "Give it everything you got!! Aaaaaand begiiiiiiiin!!"

Kaluza glared at the announcer's booth, the nasty look clearly meant for Indra.

"You're next on his list, it seems," Usha chuckled.

He's getting ahead of himself. He still has to get through Garou.

"Perhaps you should have held your tongue until after his match then. A clouded mind can be quite an obstacle to overcome."