Chapter 7: Citizenship Exam

June 10th, 4021 07:30 [Matriarch 07- Great Hall]

Aisha and the others had rigorously pored over Indra and Mirai's study sheets over the last few weeks in preparation for their citizenship exams. The evaluation would consist of a written portion and a practical portion to help determine job designations within Zìyóugǎng for Homunculi, should they pass their examinations. Testing center information had been sent out two days prior. Cecil and Aisha were to take their exams in the Particle Testing Center. Akula and Mirai were sent to the Animalia Testing Center, leaving Indra alone in the General Testing Center for Homunculi with unmanifested Traits. 

The Homunculi and Vivian agreed to meet up at the Great Hall to have breakfast together before the exams started. Aisha and Vivian made their way to the Great Hall together. Seated in the back of the Great Hall in an eight-person booth was Mirai, a small bowl of cereal in front of him which went ignored as he pored over the notes he had taken on his HoloPad. As the two women approached the table he lifted his head from the screen realizing that more people had arrived.

"Aisha, Dr. Ouma, good to see you two this morning," Mirai greeted them.

" Likewise," yawned Aisha as she took a seat next to him.

"Are you guys ready for the exam?" Vivian asked.

"Yeah, I would say so. Aisha, Indra, and I were able to grasp the concepts of the written portion pretty early on. Akula and Cecil struggled a bit, but they'll do fine given their aptitude for problem-solving. I'm more worried about Indra's performance in the practical portion. Since he can't manifest any Traits he'll most likely be put through a stress test of some sort. In terms of fitness, his BMI is great, but the stress test will push him to his physical limits, so he might struggle in this section."

"I wouldn't worry about Indra's performance in the practical," Vivian assured. "Regardless of where you're stationed, it'll be within Zìyóugǎng so you guys just focus on doing the best you can in your respective testing centers."

Mirai nodded. "Sounds like a plan."

At that moment Akula arrived at the table followed by Indra and Cecil. The three of them grimaced, wincing at the sound of plates clattering, shielding their eyes from the overhead lights as they took a seat in the booth. Mirai facepalmed in frustration. Aisha looked at him confused. Were they sick? She didn't understand why Mirai was so irritated. What had caused the other three to become so ill when only a day ago they appeared energetic and healthy? Vivian was quick on the uptake, however.

She raised an eyebrow asking, "Are you guys serious?"

Cecil responded quietly, "It was a tiny lapse in judgment. We got a bit excited and celebrated early."

Indra replied with a quick, "Sorry, I'm confident I'll still ace the written portion, though."

"The lights are too bright," mumbled Akula.

Then it clicked for Aisha. "Are you guys hungover?!"

"Not so loud Aisha," complained Akula once more.

"How could you guys be so irresponsible?! Aren't you supposed to set an example for your juniors? Yet here you are crashing from a night of stupid decisions!" Aisha reprimanded her seniors furiously.

"Ugh, my head feels like it's being split with a fucking rock. Keep it down Aisha," pleaded Indra.

Vivian pinched the bridge of her nose, closing her eyes. After a moment of thought she spoke, "Are you three still confident in performing well on the written portion of the exam?"

"No problem," the drunkards said in unison before slumping forward onto the table.

"Good, the only issue is the practical then. Akula, Cecil, you two need to focus on sobering up before you use any of your Traits, so eat up and ask the test administrators if they can provide you with water, otherwise, it could lead to you injuring yourselves. Indra, sober up and just do your best," she smiled, giving him a thumbs up. The trio scarfed down as much food and drink as they could in an attempt to sober up.