Chapter 5: A Promising Development

May 16, 4021 09:45 [Matriarch 07- Director's Office]

Indra left the office still shaken over the revelation that had been dropped on his head like a ton of bricks. The Sirens... Indra thought back to a lecture on Uturian and Dvaitan history given by Ouma some time ago.

"...The Uturian Kingdom represented the precipice of human civilization seven thousand years ago. It was a flourishing ethnostate, a center of trade, commerce, military might, medicinal innovation, and technology. However, in an attempt to destroy the civilization, Asura the Destroyer created the Sirens, demonic formless beings that nearly brought about the destruction of humanity. Krishna, the avatar of Vishnu at the time, and the Devas, holy warriors of Dvaita, sister empire to Uturia, rallied together to defeat Asura and the Sirens. A violent, blood-soaked war spanning countless years ensued, decimating populations, spreading across countries, and even destroying pieces of our continents.

In the end, the Devas were victorious, but not without severe casualties of their own. Many of them died in battle with the remaining few retreating to Swarga Loka, the Heavenly Realm, to live in seclusion. The remains of humanity were left in tatters, many cities fell, and countries that had survived the war were removed from existence when plagues swept the lands, like the country of Dvaita. Humanity, left to pick up the pieces of this violent war, suffering incalculable losses and the destruction of centuries of progress, rebuilt our world once again into what it is now. To this day, Uturia is revered as hallowed ground where the Sirens were defeated, and where the Devas laid down their lives. Yet it remains uninhabitable due to the darkness that covers the country. The Uturian bloodline was survived by a single family, Sól.

Dvaita, devastated by a plague post-war, quarantined its citizens. Mass deaths within the country left few survivors. As such, Dvaitan refugees are classified as an endangered race of humans alongside the Sól family..." Heads in the classroom had turned towards him and Aisha. Indra brushed off those thoughts, the looks of pity in their eyes seared scorch marks in his mind, lingering like old wounds.

So I made a contract with a Siren. Supposedly I gave it a part of my mind and soul, but what exactly did I get in return? Jìguāng said that I received something equivalent in exchange but I've got about zero clues on what that is and how to use it. Does that even make sense? No, nothing about this makes any sense. I can't tell Akula and the others, and not even Ouma can know.

He sighed in defeat. For the first time in his life, he felt truly alone. He could not divulge the contents of his contract to a Siren with anyone for fear of putting them at risk. At risk for what? This information was just too much to unpack for Indra all at once, and Jìguāng expected him to keep quiet about it. He had always relied on his friends, whether intentionally or not he couldn't keep secrets from them, expressing his thoughts, desires, and personal information that he entrusted to them. The thought of keeping them in the dark twisted his stomach into a knot. I'm doing this for their own good. To keep them safe, he justified.

As he pondered about what to do next he found himself wandering the halls of Matriarch 07 aimlessly. He checked his HoloPad tablet for the time: 9:45. I should start heading to the Amphitheater. Indra put his fears aside, relegating Jìguāng's comments to the back of his mind for now. Quickly pacing to the massive indoor auditorium aptly named the 'Amphitheater' he made a mental note to grab lunch as soon as the announcements were completed, seeing as this morning's efforts proved fruitless in satiating his hunger.

Upon reaching the Amphitheater, Indra jostled his way through a sea of Homunculi as he searched for a way inside the massive domed arrangement. The closed-in amphitheater hosted hundreds of seats, all tiered higher and higher based on designation and rank. Indra joined the middle tiered row of seats fit snugly in-between the research staff seated above and the foot soldiers seated below. The crowd was abuzz with excitement as people gossiped amongst one another about what could have prompted the Lunar Gate Oligarchs to secede on their stern Homunculus segregation policies.

Siren's Elegy Volume 1: Orphans of Ashen Earthजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें