CHAPTER 18

Chapter 18: BODYGUARD

Napabalikwas ako ng bangon ng magising ako. My heart raced as if I had just finished a long run.  The cold sweat on my forehead made me shiver as I blinked and tried to shield my face from the sun's rays streaming through the window. 

Confused and disoriented, I struggled to recall what had happened. And as I recognized the familiar white walls of my room, memories flooded back, and I remembered the deafening sound of rifles, screams echoing through the air, and the excruciating headache that followed. I anxiously touched various parts of my body, checking for any signs of injury or discomfort, relieved to find myself unharmed.

In my desperation to seek comfort and reassurance, I cried out, "Mana Senya! Ate Susan!" 

The sound reverberated through the empty room, a plea for someone's presence. As if on cue, the heavy wooden door swung open, revealing three unfamiliar men dressed in sleek black suits. Their entrance filled the room with an air of authority as they cautiously scanned the surroundings, their eyes darting from corner to corner in search of any potential threat.

Confusion and fear gripped me tightly as I stammered, "S-sino kayo?" My voice cracked, betraying my anxiety and vulnerability.

One of the men took a deliberate step towards me, causing me to instinctively retreat further onto my bed, clutching the comforting warmth of my comforter, as if it could shield me from their unknown intentions.

"Hi, I understand that you might not recognize me, but my name is Emerson," he said calmly, his voice carrying a hint of reassurance. "I am one of your father's trusted associates, and we were part of the team that rescued you yesterday." He attempted to offer a reassuring smile, but the gravity of the previous day's events made it difficult for me to reciprocate.

As the weight of his words sank in, I struggled to comprehend the situation. 

"Where are Mana Senya and Ate Susan?" I asked, my voice laced with worry. 

 "They're downstairs preparing breakfast for you," Emerson assured me. "Don't worry, they'll be up here soon."

His words brought a slight relief to my tense demeanor. Knowing that my loved ones were nearby and safe momentarily eased the knot in my stomach.  However, another worry crept into my mind, overshadowing the brief respite. Memories of Hazel's sudden disappearance amidst the chaos yesterday flooded my thoughts. 

"Wait, is Hazel okay?" I inquired, my voice trembling with concern. The uncertainty in the room weighed heavily upon me, intensifying my worry.

My father's men exchanged glances, their expressions mirroring their own uncertainty. The lack of immediate reassurance only served to heighten my apprehension.

Emerson, noticing my distress, furrowed his brow as he sought clarification. "Who's Hazel?" 

"Hazel is the friend who was with me yesterday. Bigla na lang siyang nawala sa paningin ko during the gunfire exchange. I'm afraid she might have been caught up in the chaos. Have you heard any news about the civilians who were involved?" saad ko, bakas ang desperasyon sa boses.

Emerson paused, gathering his thoughts before responding. "All of the men who threatened to commit public suicide are confined in the hospital due to injuries they sustained. As for the civilians caught in the commotion, I can assure you that they are all safe, although some have received treatment for minor injuries. We have gathered their names and information as part of the ongoing investigation, and there have been no reports of anyone named Hazel. Are you certain that's her name?"

Emerson's voice held a touch of skepticism, highlighting the need for confirmation and further investigation.

I nodded, my eyebrows furrowing in concern. "Yes, of course. Did I fail to mention that she is my friend?" I emphasized, intending for him to feel stupid for even asking if I am sure I am certain about my literal friend's name.