lasts forever

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
EPILOGUE
lasts forever
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

NOVAN

If I were to describe myself, I would've been the product of every ruin to ever exist. I am incomplete, untangled, and a mess; a person whose path strayed more than he anticipated to. I am not graceful either. I have no poise or mercy. I am violent and inconsiderate. Very undeserving of whatever concept of "love" there is that exists within this world and time.

Guns were my salvation. Killing was a norm. To feel empathy is suicide. And nothing inside me is made to live peacefully. I'm only here to exist.

But... have I ever wondered what made me like this?

"Vitre."

I stiffened before I went back to my senses. I almost forgot that I'm in the middle of a mayhem, placed meters from the actual war. And when I looked down from where I was stationed, I saw what lies beneath me - ruined civilization, blood, ashes, smoke, people begging to be freed, the antagonizing cries of children, and the product of this war. I can see all of it from here for I am situated above a high mountain with nothing in me but a weapon... a sniper.

"Vitre, you are commanded to shoot every running passerby. Carry on."

A sigh escaped from my lips. My eyes remained staring at the running civilians of the opposite country. I care less about what I kept hearing from our transmitting ear device. All I'm wary of are the kids and their families running away from us... from the soldiers.

My jaw clenched at the sight of it. I kept asking myself then; am I a soldier? Am I made to protect? Or made to destroy? Is this what I'm made for? Is this really my path? My destination?

Because... I don't think this isn't what soldiers do. We're not soldiers anymore. Soldiers are made to protect and serve, not used to destroy their own country. Yet, despite my pledge to protect this country, I can't really bear to end a life just to keep another.

"Are you in your section, Vitre? I command you to shoot."

I once again peeked at the running kids a few meters away from me. They are weeping while keeping each other close. Their holds were so firm, as if letting go of each other's hands will determine their death. Tears filled their faces, screams of terror escaped past their mouths, and yet, they never stopped running nor did they let go of each other.

I closed my eyes for a second.

No.

That's a child. That's a kid. They are a bunch of children that should've lived longer to be prosperous. That may be a young girl or boy with dreams to fulfill and hopes to live. I can't shoot them now, can I? I can't end whatever hopes they have to live. Who am I to do that?

"Vitre!"

My chest heaved. The sweat, tears, devastation, and unknown emotions swindled inside me as I held my weapon tightly. I didn't move, making my superior yell my name once more. It took me seconds, minutes, and another couple of it before I decided to bite my tongue and pull the trigger. And then a scream erupted into thin air, sending me relief when I saw that I missed and the scream came out from how I nearly shot the kid.

I closed my eyes then. My head finally cooled down from the fright. And when I opened my eyes again, I was greeted by a dark room with an old man in front of me.