Thirty. Eddie Begins

Start from the beginning

"You have a weird kind of fun" She shot back.

"Yo- Yo, officers. Uh, I got a legal question" A man said walking over to them.

Summer was about to answer but Vienna quickly cut in. "Sorry, we're not real cops. We're extras. There's a movie shoot down the street"

"Oh. Cool. Thanks" The man replied and walked away from the officers.

"What am I? Google? Do your own research" Vienna shrugged walking away while Summer tried to hold in her laughter.

"7-Adam-20. Missing child. I repeat, missing child"

...

"How much did you have to pay dispatch to give us the next call that came in?" Rossi asked her T.O. folding her arms over her chest.

"I played the trauma card" Vienna answered. Rossi nodded hiding the smirk on her face as Sergeant Grant walked back into the house with Captain Nash behind her.

"...But then I'm interviewing the mother asking the usual questions. And Reyes noticed this" Athena Grant continued to explain to Bobby Nash. Reyes grabbed the picture of the counter and showed it to them.

"Photo. It came with the house" She said.

"I didn't see a windmill when we pulled up" Captain Nash replied glancing at the photo.

"Yeah, torn down years ago. It used to power a water pump" Athena told him.

"There's an abandoned well on the property" Bobby realized, Athena nodded.

After 10 minutes of looking for Hayden and still nothing. Vienna sighed climbing down from where she'd previously checked. "Hey, guys! Over here!" Vienna heard Eddie yell.

The firefighters and officers quickly ran over to where he was.

Officer Reyes and Rossi watched the screen while Chimney and Buck ran a line down the well to see if Hayden was actually down there. "We're at 40 feet, Cap. only got 50 feet of cable" Chimney said well they watched the screen.

"Can someone even survive a fall that far?" Rossi asked.

"Well, the well's narrow, so there's lots of friction to slow a fall" Hen explained before turning to see how Chim and Buck were doing, "But if he's really down there..."

"There. Right there" Eddie chimed in pointing to the screen.

"Hey, he's alive" Reyes spoke up.

The rain hit the ground turning the dirt to mud and the thunder and lighting wasn't helping. Hayden was still pinned in the well but the rain and mud was starting to build up around the mouth of the well making the firefighters job harder.

The lighting struck again, getting closer to the dig site. "It's barely a mile away. We gotta pull the plug" The man tried to argue.

Vienna furrowed her brows in confusion, "No way!" She shot back.

"We got a five-story lightning rod sitting in an empty field out here!"

"It's still a mile away" Captain Nash told him.

"It gets any closer-"

"I know" Bobby replied, quickly turning to the rest of the firefighters. "Okay, get the winch and the harness and once we hit depth-"

"I'll go in" Eddie cut in, Bobby paused. "I'm the one that was talking to him on the radio, he knows my voice, makes sense that it's me. Suit me up. I'm going down"

...

After Eddie went down and lost signal with Eddie. The 30 minute mark was up and Buck began to pull Eddie up. "Uh, I lost the weight!"

"What does that mean?" Vienna asked with worry in her tone.

"I don't know! Something's wrong!" Bobby yelled. Buck quickly pulled up the remaining line to see it cut.

"Oh my God. He cut the damn line!" Hen yelled over the rain with panic in her voice.

"Chim, I want you to gear up. I'm sending you down" Bobby said to Firefighter Han. He nodded.

"Cap! I should be the one to go down" Buck tried to argue.

"What, so we can end up with two cut lines?" Reyes asked him.

"Why are you even here?" Buck questioned with a frown.

"Buck" Captain Nash cut in hitting Buck on the arm getting him to shut up.

Buck pulled on the line. Both Chimney and the kid came out of the well, the mother ran over holding her son in her arms. "Let's me get you two somewhere quiet. I need to check him out" Hen said to them shooting a quick glance at the all new crews watching them.

"Where's Eddie?" Vienna asked him.

"Eddie's fine. He just needs a ride" She nodded.

"I need to drop another 50 foot line to get my guy" Bobby ordered. "Buck, let's pull Eddie up and let's all go home" the thunder clapped again, the lighting hit and all chaos broke loose.

"Vienna! Vienna!" Buck yelled, pushing her out of the way of the explosion sending them both to the ground, "Hey, you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine" She nodded, lifting her head up. "Eddie-" the blonde stared at where the hole was and saw it was covered in mud. "Eddie!" trying to scramble up but Buck held her back as she yelled Eddie's name.

Everything after that was a blur. She didn't remember much, she was just thinking the worst. "Okay, listen up" Captain Nash announced, snapping Vienna out of her thoughts. "Buck here is gonna get some thermal cams. We are going to fan out and do a grid search. Chimney and Hunter are gonna have oxygen tanks and warming blankets standing by. I wanna start at the well. And go outward in concentric circles" Bobby explained to the group.

"LAPD copters are on the way. We'll use their thermal imaging to scan this wider area. Try and pick up Diaz's heat signature" Vienna said to them.

"Won't be easy" A voice said from behind the group of searchers, the 118 and officer Reyes' heads snapped to where it came from. The searchers cleared a path and saw a figure of Eddie stood there.

"Eddie?" Reyes asked.

"I'm pretty cold" Eddie finished stumbling over to them. The blonde quickly ran over to him and wrapped her arms around him.

"Thank God, you're alright"

Tysm for reading! Sorry for the lack of updates, the UK heat is killing me

Written: 07/07/2023

Published: 11/09/2023

Word Count: 1411