Nineteen. Heat Wave

CHAPTER NINETEEN – Heat Wave

|

✎

VIENNA WALKED OUT THE LOCKER ROOM, with water bottle in hand. The heatwave was killing the blonde and she refused to drink iced coffee so she was stuck with plain water.

"I'm just saying, not not getting out the car for less than a felony" Vienna said to Tim and Angela as she sat at the table.

"You and me both" Angela replied nodding in agreement.

"Your commitment to protecting and serving is admirable" Tim told the two, Vienna rolled her eyes at his comment.

"As long as I can do it in comfort" Lopez responded with a shrug. Harper walked into the briefing room and went to sit at the front where the rookies normally sat.

"You know the front row's for the rookies, right?" Tim asked as she walked past the trio.

"You hoping I'll sit by you?" The detective asked him.

"I'm just telling you how it is"

"The day I need that from you is the day I hang up my spurs" Nyla told him before walking away, Reyes chuckled to herself.

"You know you're losing, right?" She asked. Tim gave her a unamused look. As a smirk grew on her face.

"Good morning" Sergeant Grey spoke as he walked into the briefing room. "We've got ourselves a heat wave, which means what, Officer West?"

"Studies show that a 1% loss of body mass due to sweating decreases cognitive ability and increases anxiety levels" West explained to the officers.

"Translation- tempers will be short, drug and alcohol use up, so stay hydrated and stay sharp. Now, while the rest of you are baking in the sun. Officer Nolan will be flop-sweating in his very first preliminary court hearing" Grey told everyone as a couple of the officer chuckled.

"Oh, no flop sweats here, sir. I have reviewed the arrest report repeatedly. I am 100% ready to testify on all the facts" Nolan replied confidently, Grey smirked.

"Hmm, Bradford?"

"When did you graduate the Academy?" Bradford asked him quickly.

"Oh, that was September..." John started trying to remember the date.

"Exact date, Boot"

"What's your weapon's serial number?" Harper chimed in quickly before Nolan could finish Tim's question.

"Wait, we're supposed to know that?" Vienna whispered to Lopez, she nodded. "Oh, shit"

...

"7-Adam-20, hit and run at 5th and main street"