Chapter 32: Attack on the Helicarrier

When Erik finally decided to tell us that he needed iridium to stabilise the Tesseract’s power, he was hesitant to reveal where we needed to get the element from.

When Erik did tell Hela that the iridium he needed was on the Helicarrier, he was lucky that I stopped my sister from launching him off the top of Oscorp Tower.

I didn’t blame her for being reluctant to take on a whole airship of superheroes – it would practically be a suicide mission alone...

Which was exactly the reason why she was sending me to accompany her.

Hela thought that bringing more than one accomplice would attract too much attention, and wouldn’t make stealing the iridium any easier.

But when I reached the Helicarrier, which was flying high above the water surrounding the city, it seemed that Hela’s desire for discretion was superfluous.

Now, as I hovered a safe distance away from the airship, I frowned as the sky rumbled and turned deep grey, the clouds churning in a whirlwind. Hela was lucky – she could practically materialise wherever she desired if she knew exactly where she wanted to go. I was to meet her on deck in less than a minute.

Unfortunately, she didn’t know precisely where the iridium was being kept onboard, so she couldn’t simply appear in the room it was being kept in, and make this a lot easier.

There were agents swarming on the deck, scurrying around frantically. There was a swirl of black smoke on the end of the runway, which signalled Hela’s materialisation onboard. Immediately guns were fired, and three more people ran on deck, clad in matching outfits. I thought I spotted Wolverine as one of these people, careening toward Hela, and then I almost smiled as his trademark metal claws extended from between his knuckles and confirmed this. My sister didn’t even flinch, and smiled as she turned to black mist just as the mutant barrelled into where she had been stood a split second before.

That particular little party-trick was something she’d learnt from our dear father.

My attention was suddenly snapped away from the scene as a figure glided towards me, flying through the sky effortlessly. My immediate thought was ‘Uh oh, here comes Uncle Thor…’

That was before I realised that the figure was definitely feminine – and then remembered that Thor didn’t glide.

The woman had startling white hair, which perfectly matched her blank milky-white eyes with no irises or pupils. Her black outfit bore the symbol of an ‘X’ which classed her as part of the X-men – a group of mutants that I tended to make fun of and not treat seriously.

I struggled to match a name to her face. Nick had told me about all the most interesting mutants – and I was sure a weather-controlling mutant classed as interesting.

“Storm!” I suddenly blurted out triumphantly, just as she raised her arms up and lightning crackled in the sky. I clenched my own flaming fists in response, the flames burning brighter and licking my whole body.

Her head cocked to the side as she focused on me, before she shrugged and threw her hands out toward me, electricity crackling down the length of her arms and leaping the distance between us.

Instantly, my flames disappeared and I dropped a few metres down, narrowly avoiding the lightning strike. I reignited quickly and righted myself before blasting a fiery inferno at the unlucky mutant. She waved her hand sharply, and a huge gust of wind buffeted around me and diverted my flames.