Chapter 30: Back Up

Chapter 30: Back Up

Faintly entertained, I leaned forward in my seat, watching the street below with dwindling interest. I was perched on the edge of the roof of an office building, gazing down at my evening’s entertainment.

It had been a week since Odin’s unexpected visit, and Erik’s progress since then had been surprisingly swift, but the scientist had not yet requested any specific materials – which left me with nothing to do. Loki had actually grounded me after I’d left him alone in the middle of New York...

Unsurprisingly, I chose to ignore him.

So now here I was; sat outside in the pale moonlight and artificial glow of the city lights, gazing down at my friend as he went about his usual ‘hero’ business.

Spiderman sat on top of a lamppost, taunting one very angry-looking thief, who clutched his gun in one hand and his huge duffel bag bulging with stolen money – taken from a bank a few streets away - in the other. His other partners in crime had run off – empty-handedly - in different directions, so Spiderman had obviously gone after the man carrying the money.

“C’mon, dude – do you really think you can shoot me? I’ve seen old women with faster reflexes than yours,” Peter scoffed, and I could imagine him grinning behind his mask.

The man on the ground took a desperate shot, but Spiderman dodged and dropped lightly to the ground, clapping slowly as he landed on his feet.

“That could have been a great shot – but you missed.”

He threw his arm out and a stream of web spurted from his wrist, hitting the bag and sticking to it. He yanked the web back and caught the bag faster than the thief could react.

“See what I mean about slow reflexes?” Peter tutted, and dropped the duffel bag behind him.

Now panicking, the man decided to retreat, and he dropped the gun on the floor before running away.

Instead of chasing him, Peter simply waited until the thief was gone before sitting beside the bag on the pavement.

Curiously, I watched in anticipation, but Peter did nothing. It was like he was just taking a break … or waiting.

I wondered if his spidey-senses could sense me, and as this thought occurred to me, Peter’s head snapped up, but he wasn’t looking in my direction.

He stood slowly as the same man came strolling back, a hundred times more confident now as his gang of a dozen men had regrouped and followed behind him, a few wielding guns and another holding a baseball bat.

“Why don’t we sort this out in a non-violent way?” Peter suggested hopefully, and the original thief snorted.

“How about you just give us the bag, and we won’t kill you?”

“How about … no?”

Peter spun around and aimed his web at the wall halfway up the building behind him, and then threw the bag at his web. It stuck like glue, and Peter turned to face the robbers again.

“If you want it, you’ll have to climb. How monkey-like do you feel today?” Spiderman asked innocently.

“We’re gonna squash you like a bug!” The thief cried angrily, realising that there was no way he or his gang could scale the wall and retrieve the money bag.

I frowned and stood up as the gang moved in like a pack of angry wolves.

This wasn’t fair.

Spiderman ducked as the baseball bat swung at his head, and darted to the side as one of the men lashed at him. The sound of gunshots filled the air.