Chapter 12: Delivery!

“To Mr Richards, I am writing to inform you of a new proposition I have for you and your team. As you know, S.H.I.E.L.D deals with the recruiting of-”

“Hey, what are you reading?” Someone interrupted me as I read aloud quietly, while I walked down the road.

I looked up from the letter guiltily, and then sighed in relief as Peter jogged up to me, wearing ordinary clothes for once. He pushed up his black-rimmed glasses as he fell into step beside me, looking down at the letter in my hands.

“Since when do you wear glasses?” I asked suspiciously as we walked.

Unlike Peter, who was safe because of his secret identity, I didn’t have one and was always exposed. But I did try my best not to get recognised, and wore plain jeans and a long coat over my ordinary human outfit, with dark sunglasses covering half of my face.

Thank the gods it was sunny outside.

“They’re fake,” He shrugged, and I rolled my eyes, “What? At least I have a secret identity!”

“You know, I think I’m glad that I don’t have one – having to wear awful fake glasses like yours would be torture,” I said jokingly, and he smiled slightly.

“I don’t know – having a secret identity is pretty handy when the whole country’s blaming superheroes for everything,” He said, his voice low.

The streets were unnaturally quiet, and there were hardly any pedestrians. There were even free taxis lining the sides of the streets, not needed for a change.

“You’ve seen the news then?” I sighed, and he nodded, looking troubled.

“Hasn’t everyone?”

I looked back down at the letter distractedly.

“So what are you reading?” He asked, changing the subject, and I smiled slightly.

“I think Nick’s trying to recruit the Fantastic Four.”

“Oh no,” Peter groaned, and I knew he was thinking about Johnny. I laughed at his expression, and elbowed him.

“Give him a chance. I’m sure he and his team could be an asset to the Avengers.”

Peter eyed me wearily, his lips twitching into a small smile.

“You sound like Nick.”

“Oh gods, I hope not.”

We laughed, and I remembered when Peter and I had been close for a brief period of time. I wasn’t sure how I really felt about him now, after everything that had happened before I was sent back to Asgard, but there was one thing I was certain of…

I had missed Peter Parker.

“Do you want to come and help me deliver this?” I asked him, gesturing to the letter and secretly hoping he’d say yes.

Peter grinned, looking down at the torn envelope. I hadn’t been very neat when defying Nick’s order not to open it.

“I think we’d better buy a new envelope first.”

One trip to a convenient stationary shop later, the letter was re-enveloped and ready to be delivered. We stopped outside the Baxter Building, both of us unsure what to do.

“Should I put it in the letter box, or go and deliver it myself?” I asked hesitantly, glancing at the letter box on the wall.

Before Peter could reply, the door swung open and Susan Storm almost crashed into us, looking distracted.