Chapter 24: The Reunion

Eldrid's Point of View

Have you ever noticed that time passes excruciatingly slowly when you stare at a clock?

The second-hand moved unnaturally slowly, taking its time to mark the passing seconds. I didn’t even bother looking at the minute and hour hands, knowing that they would have hardly moved when I checked.

It had been exactly six hours since I’d been unceremoniously knocked unconscious by Hela and taken … here.

Where here was exactly was a mystery.

The room I sat in was icy cold, the floor made of hard white tiles and the walls plain white. I fidgeted on the rigid mattress of the uncomfortable bed. I assumed that this room would become my designated bedroom.

The thought was enough to drive anybody insane.

My eyes were locked on the clock above the door that seemed to mock me with its slowness. Half of me felt like screaming and setting the whole room on fire, while the other, saner half of me decided that that wouldn’t be a good idea.

I wondered what the other Avengers were doing now. Did they know what had happened? I supposed so – Thor wasn’t exactly the type of person to linger around and do some high street shopping after his niece had practically been kidnapped in front of him.

Never mind the fact that I’d actually intended to go willingly with Hela.

I longed to apologise to the team – Nick would be so angry. The small shred of trust that had grown within him would have disintegrated now, which was a shame – I’d only ever tried to do what was right, even if that meant unfortunate consequences.

Would Tony be worried for me?

Probably not – one less Avenger in the team didn’t make much of a difference, especially now with new superheroes being drafted into New York to fight against Hela and Loki.

If anything, he’d been somewhat concerned for me – as a friend.

My brooding was rudely interrupted as the door opposite me opened. I stood quickly, and then scowled as I saw who it was.

“Daughter! I’m glad you-”

Loki’s smug sentence was cut short as I crossed the distance between us in a second and my fist connected with his face. He groaned and clutched his now-bleeding nose as I retreated back to the bedside, rubbing my knuckles contentedly. His green eyes burned into mine accusingly, and I glanced at Hela, who stood behind him looking highly amused.

“I’m sorry – I couldn’t resist,” I said meekly, and then looked back at Loki, “That’s for breaking my leg.”

Hela shut the door behind her and looked over at Loki expectantly, who was now pinching his nose in a vain attempt to stem the flow of blood.

“So the family is reunited once more – how quaint,” Loki managed to say, and both Hela and I rolled our eyes.

“Where are we?” I asked, directing the question at Hela because out of the two of them, Hela was the one I despised the least.

“About ten floors below ground level – right under Oscorp Tower,” She replied, smirking as my face fell.

I disliked being underground intensely – it made me feel confined, and helpless. If something went wrong when you were ten floors below ground level, it usually meant that you were done for.

“So this is part of the tower? It seems a bit of a basic room belonging to such a high tech company,” I remarked, puzzled, and Loki looked slightly disgusted as he answered.