Chapter 17: Target Acquired

Eldrid’s Point of View

“So Clint and Natasha are heading back here because they’ve managed to persuade someone called Elektra to join the team? And this ‘Elektra’ is like ‘Tasha because she’s ‘amazing’ at martial arts?” I said slowly, absently picking at the bed cover beneath my hands.

“That’s about right,” Nick agreed.

It was the day after Electro and Lizard’s escape. Nick and I were in my room, and I was ‘recovering’ in bed while Nick sat on the armchair in the corner, checking up on me. Tony was somewhere in the tower, working on his back-up, untested Iron Man suit to make it fully functioning while his other was out of action.

Nick had told me what S.H.I.E.L.D had been doing over the past few days, and it involved a lot of complicated tracking of different supervillians that had been spotted around the city. S.H.I.E.L.D had been trying to figure out exactly where Loki and Hela were organising there revolt against society from, but had so far come up with nothing. He’d also told me how the other Avengers were doing. Apparently he didn’t think it was “strictly confidential” anymore now that two new members had been temporarily recruited into the team.

“And Diana and Steve have managed to recruit an old superhero called ‘Daredevil’? Nick, how much use do you think a blind superhero is going to be against two Asgardian Gods?”

“You’d be surprised – he’s one of the greatest heroes out there,” Nick said confidently, and I shrugged.

“I’ll have to take your word for it. Where are Peter and Bruce?”

“Still trying to persuade some of the X-men to help us.”

I snorted in disdain. Most ordinary humans got on my nerves – how would I react to the unpredictable mutants? Nick was impatiently tapping away at his tablet, and looked like he wanted me to ask something. I smiled slightly, giving in.

“Okay, Nick, please enlighten me as to who Tony and I are going ‘recruiting’. I can’t take the suspense much longer,” I said sarcastically, and Nick leaned forward in the chair eagerly.

“I’m glad you asked that. Have you healed yet?”

I checked under the covers. My leg still hurt a bit, but with the help of some skilled human doctors, and my inborn ability to heal at an incredible pace, the bone was firmly back in place and my leg looked slightly bruised but was otherwise fine.

“I’ve healed - and I’m ready to go as soon as you want me to, Nick,” I said, eager to get away from the tower for a while.

Pepper had automatically blamed me for the mess that the top floor was in when she’d returned from work later that day. She’d claimed that I could have been “more careful” when I was fighting Stark’s suit … Never mind the fact that it had been her boyfriend’s Iron Man suit that had been the problem…

“That’s good, because it just so happens that we’ve got the location of your target-”

“Nick, don’t call whoever it is a target. It makes me feel like we’re supposed to be assassinating them instead of making friends,” I remarked dryly, and he smiled tightly.

“He’s a mutant.”

I paused for a second, before asking, “So who’s our target then?”

***

An hour later, I was glowering out of the window of Stark’s fancy sports car. Nick’s tablet full of the mutant’s information rested on my lap, and I held onto the door tightly.

I was never going to get over my fear of being in a car that Tony was driving.

He gave me a dry look from behind his expensive sunglasses as he glanced over at me.

“You know, most people would be thrilled to be going on a trip in a sports car with me.”

“I’m not like “most people”, Tony. Besides, we should have gone in the helicopter Nick sent like we were supposed to,” I said stubbornly, and he chuckled.

“But who won the coin toss?”

I sank lower in my seat, scowling. We’d resorted to flipping a coin to decide whether we went in the helicopter like I had wanted – and what Nick had wanted - or Tony’s Ferrari, like he’d wanted.

You did,” I admitted grudgingly, and then continued angrily as he smirked, “But that was completely unfair – you used a two-headed coin! And for the record, you’re appalling at cheating.”

“Actually, I think I’m pretty good at cheating … especially at Poker.”

“Don’t change the subject! It’s your fault I have to suffer over six hours of your terrible driving.”

“I’m an excellent driver,” He said, sounding hurt, and I rolled my eyes.

“Maybe if you were sober you could be.”

“I am sober!”

I gave him a look of mock-horror.

“Tony Stark – sober? By the Gods! You must be lying!”

He snorted but didn’t reply, and I couldn’t help but smile reluctantly.

“I just hope you know where we’re supposed to be going – human cities and roads confuse me,” I murmured, looking out of the window.

“Trust me, firefly – I practically have a GPS built into my brain … and I have JARVIS too.”

“That doesn’t give me much confidence.”

“It should. Need I remind you that I’m a-”

“If you’re going to say “genius”, I swear I’ll set the car on fire.”

He didn’t reply, and I grinned, knowing he was worried about his precious car.

“So what were you saying, Tony?” I asked sweetly after a moment, and he hesitated before replying.

“It doesn’t matter.”

“That’s what I thought.”