Chapter 16: To Meet A Daredevil

Diana’s Point of View

Diana fidgeted nervously, twirling a lock of hair around her finger and biting her lip. Captain America knocked on the old wooden front door again, before sighing.

“He mustn’t be in,” He said quietly, and Diana jumped lightly off the doorstep, glad to be going.

The house they stood before was ancient, and looked as though it had once been a grand residence. The stone was covered with dark green ivy, masking its potential beauty. Diana shivered as an icy blast swept her hair back. She wasn’t entirely sure where in the country she was – she had learned not to ask questions.

Steve shook his head, a determined look on his face.

“We can’t leave yet. Nick will be furious.”

Diana snorted at the unintentional pun, but Steve looked slightly confused, too distracted to notice any humour. She waved him off, smirking.

“Ok, knock again then,” She said, joining him on the step once more.

This time, the door opened straight away, and Diana jerked backwards in surprise.

A middle-aged man stood in the doorway, one hand gripping a white cane. His hair was dark and unkempt, and he wore black sunglasses which completely hid his eyes from view. Diana couldn’t help it as her eyebrows rose in surprise. This was the hero Nick wanted them to find? She glanced over at Steve, who was smiling slightly.

“Mr Murdock?” He asked, and the man hesitated before nodding.

“What do you need? If you’re a salesman then you can go because I'm not buying anything,” Mr Murdock replied, sounding bored.

“I’m not a salesman, sir. I’m here with my friend because … well, it’s kind of hard to explain. Please can we come in?”

Diana smiled at Steve’s always-ready manners.

“Sure,” Mr Murdock said, his brows pulling together as he moved to let them past.

The house was just as cold as outside, and Diana regretted that her black S.H.I.E.L.D uniform wasn’t warmer.

“If you go through the first door on the left, you’ll be in the sitting room. I’ll be with you in a moment,” Mr Murdock told them, before disappearing into another room.

Captain led the way, making sure that his shield didn’t crash into any ornaments. When they reached the sitting room, the first thing Diana did was run to the open fireplace and crouch in front of it, sighing as the flames warmed her bones.

Steve smiled at her huddled form, before looking around the room curiously. Diana noted the framed newspapers on the walls, and photos of a superhero wearing a red costume, but she didn’t bother looking at them for long.

“Ok – I want to know who you are and exactly what you’re doing in my house,” Mr Murdock said bluntly, leaning against the doorframe. She hadn’t heard him approach, and jumped at his words.

“Mr Murdock – Matt – we know who you are. You’re Daredevil, aren’t you? The superhero?” Cap asked, even though he already knew the answer.

Matt stiffened, “How did you know?"

“S.H.I.E.L.D has a lot of information on you, sir.”

“S.H.I.E.L.D? That’s a name I’ve not heard in a while,” He murmured, drifting off in thought.

“Well, S.H.I.E.L.D wants you to join my team – The Avengers – at least, temporarily anyway,” Steve continued, and Daredevil laughed bitterly.