Chapter 23: All Is Revealed

Diana's Point of View

“Checkmate,” Diana said smugly, knocking over Tony’s Queen.

“Not possible,” He said immediately, eyes locked on the board.

“Fine – tell me when you think of your next move,” Diana said sweetly, standing up and stretching.

It had been three hours since Eldrid had left, and the chess game was only just beginning to draw to a close.

Clint and Natasha had left about an hour ago, and Steve was still on the laptop, occasionally typing and clicking with a pained look on his face.

The lift pinged, and Pepper walked in looking weary from work. Diana scowled automatically, before she met Steve’s gaze. He raised his eyebrows slightly, and she shrugged, turning away from them all and walking to the windows.

“Hey Pepper,” Tony greeted absently, and Pepper sat down lightly on the couch.

“You have a board meeting tomorrow,” She replied seriously, and Diana smiled as Tony groaned.

“Can’t you –?”

“No, I can’t, Tony. I’ve been to the last seven meetings in your place – it’s your turn,” Pepper said sharply.

“But-”

“No ‘buts’. You’re going to this meeting whether you like it or not. Stark Enterprises is going downhill because of the amount of time you’re spending with the Avengers - no offence, Steve.”

“None taken, ma’am,” Steve said cordially, and Diana turned to face the room again with a look of disdain on her face as she looked at Pepper.

“How can you worry about Stark Enterprises when the whole world is in danger?” She snapped, and Pepper’s tired expression changed to disapproval.

“You’re over exaggerating. I still have a company to run, whether the world’s in danger or not. You wouldn’t understand business – you’re just a kid.”

“You need to get your priorities sorted out,” Diana said bitterly, unable to stop herself, and Pepper’s eyes flashed angrily.

“Don’t try and talk about things you’re too young to understand. I’m surprised Nick put you on the team – your immature attitude clearly shows you’re too young for a responsibility like that.”

White hot fury surged through Diana, and she fought to keep her angry tears in check. Tony looked between her and Pepper, surprised. Steve looked like he was about to say something, but then the elevator sounded again as the doors opened.

Looking haggard, Thor stumbled into the room, followed by a grave and angry looking Nick. Immediately, Steve put the laptop down unceremoniously on the floor, and jumped up, concern for his friend written over his face. Tony rose too, looking apprehensive.

“What’s going on?” Diana asked slowly, worried.

Thor sat heavily on the couch, his face unusually pale and pained. Pepper stood up to give the Asgardian more room, and watched with a vacant look.

“Eldrid’s gone,” Nick replied, hands clasped tightly behind his back as he paced across the room slowly.

“What do you mean ‘gone’?” Tony asked sharply, worry clear in his eyes.

“She’s working for Hela – explain, Thor,” Nick said tersely, and Thor looked up from the floor with a distraught expression on his face.

“It’s my fault. Eldrid – she made a deal with Hela-"