Chapter 26: Just Following Orders

Eldrid’s Point of View

I came to a halt as soon as the grand front doors swung shut behind me, cutting off the sound of the fighting outside and leaving me facing a group of a dozen stone-faced agents.

They stood before an impressive staircase that no doubt led to the sleeping quarters – where, I assumed, Erik had barricaded himself in. The obvious place that Captain would have kept Erik was in his own room – somewhere familiar and comforting to the scientist.

All of the agents were pointing their guns at me, ready to fire their bullets and send me on a rollercoaster of pain. I eyed them wearily, raising my hands slowly.

Being shot was not an experience I wanted repeating.

Natasha stepped forward, away from the group, and lowered her gun slightly as she gazed at me imploringly.

“Eldrid, don’t do this. Nick will never forgive you if you do – and I don’t think you particularly want to get sent back to Asgard,” She said, a trace of concern for me in her voice, which made me feel all the more guilty.

My hands dropped to my sides, and I managed a faint smile.

“I have to follow my orders, Tasha – I thought that you would understand that after working for S.H.I.E.L.D for so long.”

Her eyebrows furrowed as she regarded me, clearly unsure what to do. Maybe she was debating whether to just shoot me now and get it over with.

The ground rocked slightly as another explosion sounded outside, and the artfully-patterned windows rattled. Even the huge expensive-looking chandelier above the agents swung disconcertingly, the fine glass droplets clinking together as it moved. An obvious idea formed in my head as my gaze flicked up to the weakening metal attachments that kept the chandelier fixed to the ceiling.

“Are you going to let me pass, or do I have to force my way through?” I asked, sarcasm lacing my tone as my hands set alight.

I really hated threatening my former allies, especially Natasha, who looked rather hurt before her expression went blank and passive.

“Go back to Hela while you can, Eldrid, before you end up getting shot. I’m sorry.”

“No, I’m sorry,” I said sincerely, and a brief look of confusion crossed her face as I set the metal hinges on the chandelier alight without even glancing up.

A quick-witted agent fired at me, and as I was too preoccupied trying to melt the metal, I failed to dodge in time. I stumbled back as a searing pain shot down my arm as the bullet drove into my left shoulder.

Natasha began to say something, sounding angry, but a loud snapping noise filled the air, interrupting her. A second later I watched in mild unease as the chandelier dropped from the ceiling, the metal chains glowing from the heat, and landed directly on top of the agents save for Natasha and the agent who’d fired at me.

I clutched my shoulder and ducked as the agent fired again, while Natasha crossed the distance between us in a heartbeat and reached for my arm.

Then, she froze as an agonised cry sounded from outside.

Instantly, her annoyed expression changed into genuine fear, and I winced, as we both recognised the voice.

“What are you waiting for? Grab her!” The agent behind her yelled, pointing the gun at my forehead and touching the trigger.

Natasha hesitated, which was a rare sight.

Would she stay and deal with me, or go and help a potentially seriously injured Clint?