Chapter 18

Lily stepped out of her Ferrari and found herself in front of a large iron gate. As she stepped through, her eyes danced across the shrubs and flowers decorating the land. In the middle was a fountain proudly flowing with crystals of water, shining as the golden rays glided over them.

She followed the gravel path that led to the main entrance, admiring the statues and sculptures that dotted the garden like silent guardians keeping watch. The mansion looming over all, ancient but elegant, took her back to a time described only in the classics.

She supposed it made sense for a man burrowing himself in those books to have a home that was a reflection of it.

She walked up the stairs to the door but she did not need to knock or ring for the door was opened from the inside on its own.

So she strode in, not once faltering in her confident strides.

The hanging chandeliers sparkled, casting shadows at angles.

Once inside, she looked up the flight of marble stairs and there, looking as if he was on top of the world, with a confidence in his gait that matched her own, stood Blaise Roosevelt.

He tilted his head, glancing at her who stood below him, and because she refused to be below anyone, she speedily walked up the stairs, levelling him with her daring gaze.

"So she finally comes out of hiding," he said, raising an elegant brow. "I suppose my days of waiting with agony were worth it."

She scoffed in reply. "I was never in hiding."

Which was an utter lie, of course, but Lily remained shameless.

He let her keep her pride intact, playing along like, as she'd come to realise, he always did. No matter what ridiculous or diabolical thing she did or said.

He led her to his office and they both took a seat.

He was observing her for long enough that she was ready to say, 'I get that I'm gorgeous but you need to pay if you stare that long.'

But then he remarked in a light tone, "You did not bring any weapons and you don't look nervous. That must mean you trust me at least a little."

"I don't."

But she wanted to.

So she took a little risk. After all, frolicking with danger had always been her dearest hobby.

She spoke up again before he could. "I came here to get answers. I wasn't in the right... mental state that day so I could only go along with you."

"You told me you believed me."

"I'm sure you realized it was a lie. I do not believe you," she said slowly. "Not even a little bit."

There was a storm taking place in his ruthless gaze that was half-hidden by his fluttering long lashes.

"I know." The voice was soft and understanding. "I would not believe me either, given my reputation, let alone you who weathered the worst cyclones."

"You're very different today," she accused. "You were very different that day as well."

His eyes had been molten with tenderness and care.

She hated it.

"Was I?" he raised an eyebrow in amusement. "I am always like this."

She narrowed her eyes and then stood up as if to leave. His hand flung out and grasped her arm in a firm grip, yet, as she stared down at the place where his skin met hers, he quickly let go.