Chapter 14

Selene had, thanks to her late mother, an impressive amount of assets in her name.

But she would never be bothered to care for them - Selene was the type who wanted to get something in return for nothing. She was only interested in enjoying luxuries, reading novels and - whenever she was in a restless mood - hacking into weird places.

Really weird places.

Lily, on the other hand, liked managing everything and just, being active instead of lazing around. Thus, she was the one willingly running Selene's business.

At the end of the day, the overall profit was split between the two.

Win-win situation, in her eyes.

Every few days, she would be at her office, finishing up her tasks and looking over all her employees. Except, she couldn't concentrate on her work properly this time around.

And that was infuriating because she loved doing things, anything, so long as she called the shots - which she did.

Instead of working on the paperwork, she had blanked out. Her secretary, Cora Lyriam, had to call her multiple times before she snapped out of her daze.

"Miss Blackthorne, you have been working hard these days... maybe you need some time off?" Cora had gently suggested.

"This is the first time I came to the office since five days ago," Lily had replied dryly.

Cora had hesitated.

"Is there, maybe, something on your mind? Anything I can help with?"

Of course not.

Lily had shrugged. "Maybe I just need to loosen up some."

And that's what brought her to the nightclub - Seraphine

It was an exclusive members-only club that she owned. More specifically, it was gifted to her by Selene.

In her words: "You are more into these messy and rowdy places than I am."

But this club wasn't messy! Selene was just prejudiced.

She entered the nightclub wearing a wine-coloured bodycon dress with a short leather jacket on top. The clicking of her stilettos over the marble floor was drowned out by the beat of the music.

Sitting down once inside, she took off the black jacket.

Looking around at everyone, truly in bliss, she had half a hope of loosening the knot of unease that had been building in her with increasing momentum.

Her eyes locked with a guy making his way to her, offering a drink which she accepted with a slow, practised smile. She took small, measured sips of the wine, keeping her provoking eyes on him.

He had brown eyes. That was the first thing she noticed. A mop of dark hair and fair skin.

A smirk was playing on his pink lips.

Her hand on the crystal glass tightened.

His eyes were on her as he led her to the dance floor. His gaze held the fire she used to like. But her smile directed at him wasn't genuine.

She didn't know why the strange feeling of wistfulness invaded her senses all of a sudden.

They danced in sync but her limbs felt robotic. Her arms snaked around his neck, her eyes locked to his.

Why did she wish for the calming mahogany instead of the dull brown?

His mischievous eyes promised a good time.