Chapter 11

Blaise got the text when he was done having lunch with his mother.

His phone gave a soft ping. And the lock screen showed the name Lilithe.

He and his mother were sitting side by side, leading her hawk-like eyes to immediately glance at the ostentatious flashing of the name. A resulting smile bloomed on her face.

"Are you two getting closer?"

Blaise read through the text and said, "She is getting more comfortable with me, it would seem. I am glad."

This way, it might not be long before she opened up to him.

"How exactly did you want to help her?" his mother asked.

Blaise hesitated, pondering. "I did not think that far in the beginning. I want to get justice for her, I suppose. Punish those who turned her life into a nightmare."

She hid so much.

She thought he did not see it but he did. He saw right through her because he knew what to look for. Because he had seen it before.

A life full of cynicism and mistrust. How exhausting must it be to not believe?

Shaking off his heavy thoughts, he glanced at his mother. "She asked me to join her for shopping."

His mother's almond eyes widened and she stood up at lightning speed. The chair she was sitting on slid away, making a rough noise against the marble floor. "Like a date?"

"Not really." Blaise ruthlessly dumped a pitcher of cold water on her. "More like she needs someone to-"

"What are you even waiting for? Quickly go."

He was promptly kicked out of his own mansion, the door slammed in his face.

Disbelief clouding his features, he stared at the closed door.

Seconds passed and with that, followed an eternity, yet the door remained heartlessly shut. Therefore, he got in his car and drove to where he was actually wanted.

She strode out of the restaurant, confidence streaming out with every bounce of her dark curls, as soon as she spotted him through the glass walls

She strode out of the restaurant, confidence streaming out with every bounce of her dark curls, as soon as she spotted him through the glass walls. A delighted smile etched at the corner of her surprisingly not-red lips. Thinking of it, she did not look as carefully dressed up as she almost always was when outside.

"Yes, yes," she said, following his gaze. "I went out in a hurry today so didn't have time to get ready."

He raised an eyebrow deliberately letting surprise rush through his eyes. "This is you not having time to get ready? The rest of us might as well stop existing."

All these years of flattering his mother made him quite an expert in the art of sweet talk full of honeyed words.

"I know right? I'm just too stunning." She played along with mischief flashing in her eyes.