Chapter 4

She didn't let him drive her home.

Until further research, his number - newly added to her phone - would have to be enough.

She got out of the taxi and stood in front of a tall building. The night was dark but the ground floor was well-lit. She walked through the door opened by the guard, her high heels on the marble floor causing a disturbance in the silence.

Easily opening the sleek black door due to the installed retinal scanner, Lily entered the penthouse she shared with Selene.

Its decor was luxurious; of ivory and silver. Under the bright lights, the entire place seemed to twinkle like stars, full of glitz and glamour.

She breezed into the living room.

Selene was reclined on the light velvet sofa with her legs tucked in a dainty manner. Her silver hair, let out of its bun, cascaded down her petite body. In her slender hands was that same damn book from earlier. Her full lips were pursed so slightly it would take someone studying her for years to be able to tell - but that was what Lily did.

Looking at this angelic ball of cuteness, Lily wanted to squeeze her squishy cheeks as much as she wanted to fling that book out the window. Both would annoy Selene equally so she found it difficult to decide.

"Did you go and check?" Lily asked her instead.

Raising her eyes from the book, Selene locked them with hers. In her eyes was a wintry night, cold and beautiful. It made a striking contrast to the rest of her sweet, delicate features.

Blaise was the same.

His expression was friendly and mild but his ruthless eyes showed his true nature.

"There wasn't even an iota of trace left in the alley by the time those men were done. Whoever you swindled this time was pretty capable."

Lily smirked at her. "He's expected to be. But his capability can be a blessing or a curse for me, depending on my choices. So do me another favour and look into Blaise Roosevelt. See what you can find other than the current circulating rumours."

Icicles forming in Selene's eyes were the only indication of her emotional state.

"Blaise Roosevelt... you really like playing with fire, don't you?"

Lily shrugged, unapologetic in her choices.

"Lilithe."

"Don't call me that, Selene."

"Not the time for you to chase after an adrenaline rush."

"You know me too well," she said with a devilish smile. "But I haven't fixated on anything, yet. Don't be too anxious."

Her playful eyes traced over the creamy complexion of Selene's face as she added, "Otherwise, you'll get wrinkles."

Selene's ice-blue eyes shuttered as the temperature in the room lowered drastically.

"Why do I bother with you..." she then muttered before picking her book up and promptly ignoring her.

She probably shouldn't have teased her about the wrinkles.