Chapter 3: Trek through Tartarus part 1 (To Damasen's hut I go!)

Past Tense Percy POV:

After a couple of days of just falling, I somehow managed to sleep.

"Hello, Percy," I heard Akhlys say.

I was back in the void, talking to her again.

"Is this what you meant by me spreading misery? That I would be taken away when everyone needed me the most, because another war is coming? Well, I hate to break it to you, but I will get back, even if I have to spend months crawling out of this pit!"

"Oh, Percy, the misery has barely started. Yes, your fellow campers will despair over the fact that they no longer have you. But remember this. As much as I love and feed off of misery, I would not have made you my champion if you weren't already Hestia's. Someone powerful, spreading both misery and hope, is the best way to keep my feasts coming."

"I'm not that powerful... am I?"

"You will discover that on your own. Now, your little skydive trip is coming to an end. When you land, make your way to Damasens hut. Inside is a book that will give you a way to stay alive. Once you do that, come find me so I can teach you to use the death mist yourself."

"Yes, Lady Akhlys."

"Hm. "Lady" Akhlys... I like the sound of that. Anywho, goodbye, Perseus. I trust you will succeed."

I woke up, my eyes having to adjust to the faint red light. I looked down, and just like last time, the hole opened up into a cavern, the distant areas shrouded by fog. What I could see, however, sucked. There were distant craggy mountains jutting up from the ground, forming uneven ridges on the "skyline." There were forests filled with trees and the zit-like things monsters regenerated in, and there were various monsters roaming around.

I scanned for a river and found one. Schist. The River Phlegethon was the only river in sight. I knew it would suck, but to be honest, it was probably the best river I could have gotten, as it was my key to survival until I got to Damasen's Hut.

I hit the water, sinking into the river, knowing that I wouldn't be crushed on impact. What I didn't expect was the pain. My entire body felt like it was being melted off, burned, and suffocated at the same time. I subconsciously opened my mouth to scream, only to swallow ounces of the fire water. Now, the pain was both inside and outside of my body. It sucked. A lot.

Somehow, in the midst of my pain, I used my powers to propel myself onto the beach. I felt better than I ever had, completely full and energized, but I had to wait for the pain to completely wear off, as it was engulfing my mind.

When I was finally able, I got up to look at my surroundings. I recognized where I was from the last time I was down here, so I turned to the direction of Damasen's hut and started jogging.

After about 10 minutes of jogging and hiding from monsters, I heard voices.

"She was supposed to be back by now!"

"You know her. She's probably playing with her food."

I hid behind a rock and peeked over to see who was talking. It was some Telkhines and an Aurai.

"But it's been an hour since the specified rendezvous time! You know the deal! She HAS to do this correctly, or else!"

So they were working with Kelli! Wait... if it's been an hour... and I've been jogging for 10 minutes... then I had been in the River Phlegethon for 50 minutes! No wonder I had felt so recharged.

I leaped out of my hiding place before one of the monsters noticed me peeking over the rock.

I uncapped riptide and made quick work of the Telkhines before fighting the Aurai. I circled it, unsure of what to do. Either I kill it and gain a curse that could kill me, or I let it leave and tell others that I am back in Tartarus.