Chapter 5 | New Home

"I don't know what I was feeling, but I was feeling it."

"Thanks for dropping me off." I said.

"No problem, see ya around, alright?" He asked. I nodded. He handed me my bag.

He walked away, but part of me didn't want him to walk away. Who am I kidding, all of me didn't want him to walk away. I don't know what I was feeling, but I was feeling it. 

I knocked on the door and a few seconds later, Abby came to the door. She hugged me immediately, causing me to drop my bag on the ground. I haven't talked to her for a while, so I was really happy to see her.

"Do ya want me to cook ya anything? Of course ya would, you're probably starving to death. Do ya want anything special?" It took me a second to comprehend everything she said. She always gets ahead of herself and it's hard for me to keep up.

"I don't really care." I said. I wasn't even that hungry. I was just lost.

"Liar. I'll just make you pasta." She said. I nodded.

When she makes pasta, she really means she's gonna grab spaghetti and cook a bunch of veggies, meat, and seasoning to make an elegant meal. I should've given her something specific to make. I have to admit, she makes the best food I've ever eaten. And she's only fifteen! I'm almost seventeen and I haven't and never will be successful like her.

After about thirty minutes, she served some of her extremely fancy and delicious pasta. She sat down next to me.

"So, we have to figure out where you're gonna go." She said.

"No, I thought we were having a chat about The Beatles." I said sarcastically. She rolled her eyes. I've always been the sarcastic one.

"Do ya have any family?" She asked.

"You mean the one that disowned me?" I asked. This is how I deal with my shit. Being sarcastic and annoying. She gave me a look.

"No, we stopped talking to all of them a long time ago. Or at least I have." I said.

"Any other friends?" She asked.

"Pffftt, no." I laughed. I swear there is something wrong with me.

"How 'bout the shelter." She suggested.

"Fuck no. I don't think I would survive being near all those people." I said. She rolled her eyes.

"Well do ya have any better ideas?" She asked, getting annoyed.

"I would move back in with my family before I did that." I said. She stayed silent. She was out of ideas and things to say.

"Fine, I'll go to the shelter. Maybe it won't be so bad." I said.

"Now that's the spirit. Good luck." She said. I nodded and left. Little did she know, the shelter is exactly where I wasn't going to go.

Instead, I went to the field where the vacant lot was. I found a thick grouping of trees with a bunch of branches.

I set up the sticks and made a mini camp. Something I picked up when I went hiking with my family. My old family.

I then went to a store and used the little money I had on me on a tarp. I put it over the stick house. Homey enough.

I laid my blanket down as a floor on the ground because I would never be able to survive on the bare ground. I put my pillow down.

The tarp folded over the entrance. So now I have a mini house for myself. So this is where I am going to live.

I was bored, so I decided to sing. I have always had a love for singing. (A/N let's pretend it is 1968 right now because I love this song and it came out a few years too late.)

I started singing 'Hey Jude' by The Beatles. I love that song with all my heart and I will sing that song at the most random times.

"Hey Jude, don't make it bad.
Take a sad song and make it better.
Remember to let her into your heart,
Then you can start to make it better.

Hey Jude, don't be afraid.
You were made to go out and get her.
The minute you let her under your skin,
Then you begin to make it better.

And anytime you feel the pain, hey Jude, refrain,
Don't carry the world upon your shoulders.
For well you know that it's a fool who plays it cool
By making his world a little colder.

Hey Jude, don't let me down.
You have found her, now go and get her.
Remember to let her into your heart,
Then you can start to make it better.

So let it out and let it in, hey Jude, begin,
You're waiting for someone to perform with.
And don't you know that it's just you, hey Jude, you'll do,
The movement you need is on your shoulder.

Hey Jude, don't make it bad.
Take a sad song and make it better.
Remember to let her under your skin,
Then you'll begin to make it
Better better better better better better, oh.

Na na na nananana, nannana, hey Jude..."

I sang it over and over several times. I loved it so much. This song is my sad song, happy song, moody song, my song for everything. 

I laid down and got lost in my train of thought. I cried a few times and wished life could be better. Maybe one day it will be. That day won't come soon enough though.

I was freezing. I took out my sweatpants and a hoodie. I put the hood up and hoped it would warm me up. It helped, but not as much as I hoped. I closed my eyes and hoped for sleep to take over my body.

Words: 920
Date Published: July 1st 2:19 p.m. EDT

Stay Shining!!!