Chapter 2 | Alone

"It doesn't matter if he hates my guts."

"Dakota, can you come out her for a minute?!" I heard my mom yell. I rolled my eyes, upset that I had to get out of bed.

"Coming." I half groaned. I got up and left my room, wondering what she could want at a time like this.

"Yeah?" I asked when I got to the living room, where my parents were standing angrily. Bob was in the doorway of his room, smirking at me. What did he do?

"You dropped out?" My dad asked me. I felt a flood of nervousness fill my whole body.

"No, why would ya think that?" I asked, trying to pass it off as a lie. I am not good at lying. I have too many tells that give it away. My emotions also get in the way of being able to tell a truth from a lie.

"Bob told us. Don't try to hide it." Mom said.

"If you can't even do us the favor of not making our family look like shit, then might as well get out." Dad said.

"What?" I asked, my voice breaking.

"You have thirty minutes to get what you need and leave." Mom said. I started walking to my room, my steps feeling lighter than usual.

I went up the stairs slowly. I felt like I was going to fall over with every step. Where am I going to go? What am I going to do? How am I going to live?

It's March, temperatures rarely reach higher than forty degrees at night. I would freeze.

I took my big backpack I used for camping and hiking trips with my family. I could fit a blanket and pillow in there along with a few outfits. I grabbed my tooth brush and hair brush. I took my favorite book, Gone With the Wind. I grabbed my navy blue switchblade and put it in my pocket. There isn't anything else I would need. Not like I could fit anything else in the backpack. I took my favorite stuffed animal and got the hell out.

I wandered around, but I didn't know where to go. I decided to go to a park near my house. It had a playground along with a large grassy field with benches scattered everywhere.

It's very clean and well taken care of. What can you say, everything is perfect in Soc land. Except me.

This park is right on the edge of our territory, so it's not completely uncommon for Greasers to be seen here.

I saw a group of Greasers walking along the outskirts of the park. It was night time and nobody was around. I am the perfect target for them.

I hid under the bench so they wouldn't see me. I was horrified because I kept seeing them walk around, still in the far distance.

Just because I don't hate Greasers, doesn't mean I am not scared of them. Greasers still scare me. Some more than others.

The tough ones that wander around late scare me a lot. They are loud and always looking for a fight or for a party. That kid from earlier, he's not scary. He was just born on the wrong side.

The group seemed to be inching closer. They all seemed familiar to me. They are only the toughest Greaser gang in Tulsa. The Shepard Gang.

They are the meanest, scariest group ever. Even the strongest Socs are afraid to go near them. Especially the leader, Tim.

He's a tough looking guy. He's a JD, a hood. Even I know all Greasers aren't JD's or hoods, but he is both.

They've been walking around the park for almost an hour at this point. I have no idea what they are doing here, but I just had to hope they wouldn't see me.

Luckily it was dark, so they didn't notice me. It's still scary because if they do, I don't have a great chance to escape.

They're the vengeful types. It won't matter to them that I never did anything. They want revenge on all Socs.

I am Bob's little sister. I would be considered the best one to beat upon. Just because I am related to Bob. It doesn't matter if he hates my guts.

I am so tired. I want to sleep, but I need to remain alert to the situation. If I am asleep and they find me, I could end up dead, or worse.

I saw another group of people approach the park. They were all Socs. A big fight was going to start right in this park. I could tell.

I watched as the Socs got closer and closer. I recognized them. It was Bob and his friends, yet again. I took a deep breath, hoping the fight wouldn't be brought over here.

Looks like he listened to my advice from earlier. He was drunk, along with all his other friends. I'm not even surprised. He would've done it either way.

It all started with all of them yelling at each other. They were saying swears and other words I would never dare to repeat.

"What are ya doin' here, filthy Greaser?" Bob's friend asked, Randy I think his name was.

"Call me that again. buddy." Tim stepped up, ahead of his gang. Let me tell you, even though he's tough, he's still got guts for sassing a Soc.

"Filthy Greaser, you don't belong here." 'Randy' said.

"Try me." Tim said. Bob stepped up and threw a punch. Then it was on between the two groups. 

It was an even fight. Every person had one person to fight. Bob and Tim. Randy and Tim's little brother. I think his name is Curly. Weird name if you ask me.

The reason why it actually wasn't an even fight is because Tim and his gang could have Bob and his friends beat any time of the day. No matter the situation.

They were all beating up each other, no one was backing down. Remember, this is the Shepard Gang we're talking about. They had the Socs running rather quickly. It didn't surprise me in the slightest. Except, I thought Bob would be slightly more cocky. I guess not.

Curly took a glass bottle off the ground and threw it at them. They were running in my direction. The bottle crashed right next to the bench I was under. This caused me to yelp. Then they all fell silent. They heard me.

Words: 1047
Date Published: June 29th 11:52 p.m. EDT

Stay Shining!!!