He just sat back and listened, amused by her little hums and the bobbing of her head along to the music. She pulled up to the parking lot and parked in a space towards the back where it was less crowded.

"Have you ever chopped down your own Christmas tree?"

"A long time ago." His griff voice confirmed. Growing up with the pack, his home was in the middle of the woods. They chopped down their own trees every year.

She grinned. He noticed she did every time he gave a verbal response. Maybe he'd have to do that more.

"Really? That's cool." She replied and turned off the engine. "I've used artificial trees the past few years, so I haven't done this in a while either."

She clasped her gloved hands together and said, "well, are you ready?"

He actually seemed pretty eager because he quickly hopped out of the truck. She placed her hand on the handle only to realize he wasn't eager to chop down a tree, but to open her door before she could.

She shook her head in amusement and started their journey across the parking lot. After she slipped and slided multiple times, Cillian offered her his strong arm for her to hold.

"Heh," she breathed and carefully took his arm. "Thanks." She said and rambled on about her boots had no grips on them.

Once they made it to the snow where all the Christmas trees were, she let him go, making him frown. Still, he followed her through all the trees like a lost puppy.

A family was close behind them, noticeably making him a little tense and on edge. She surprised him this time by taking his arm again and giving it a light squeeze in reassurance. "They're here for the same reason as us." She reminded him. "Let's go to the back. That's where the best ones are because no one like going out that far."

Once they made it to the back, she intently studied each tree. Humming as she inspected each one, she eventually whirled around and asked him, "which one do you think we should take home?"

We. Home. Two simple words, but impactful. He loved hearing those words coming from her lips, knowing she was talking about them going home together.

Struggling to think, he avoided talking and just pointed to the one closest to him.

She blinked. "Okay..." The pine needles on this specific tree were mainly all on the ground. The ones that weren't were brown. "So you're the Charlie Brown type of Christmas tree guy."

He shook his head and pretended like he was pointing to the tree behind it. While he had no idea what it looked like, it must have been a good one considered by her excited squeal.

Her boots made a mushing sound as she scurried through the snow to the tree. It was quite the tree, full, green, and around nine foot tall. To Sophie, it was perfect. "Good eye, Cillian!" She praised him as she inspected it.

"All we have to do now is cut it... down..." her words faded, realizing what she had done. She pursed her lips, her hands on her hips. "I left the axe in the truck... And people are coming this way. If we leave it, someone is definitely going to take it."

"I'll go get it." He offered.

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure." He reassured her and headed back to where they came from.

She said a silent prayer that he'd be okay on his own and guarded that tree with her life.

A minute or so went by and just as she began to wonder if separating was a good idea, she heard this agitating, grating voice. "What's a pretty lady like you doing all alone out here?"