Part xvii - Part of the Mafia??

Minnette's POV

I walked into the office and noticed that Winston was already in. I swallowed hard and started feeling nervous. I didn't know what to expect from him. He was busy reading something on his laptop. I walked in and stood by the door.

"Good morning Winston", i said startling him. He looked at me and smiled. "Hey... Minnette. I didn't think you'd come after the stunt I pulled on Friday", he said looking genuinely concerned. "To be honest. Max wanted me to resign but I thought otherwise", I said while walking in and finally sitting on one of the visitor chairs.

"What did you mean by the text you sent?", I asked and he looked troubled. "Minnette, I don't think it's wise to talk about the past besides, I was drunk out of my mind, and seeing you with him made me angry. It made me say things that I'm ashamed of. I'm very sorry", he said nervously.

"Winston, that was not right. That was not you so, please tell me the truth. Why did you provoke him like that? You do know that if his superiors find out about it, it might cost him his job?" I said, hoping it was enough to make him reveal what he meant in the text.

He released a breath and then gave me his full attention. "Minnette, how long have you known this guy?", he asked. "Five years, why?", I asked pretending to look confused. "Well, I ran a background check on him and he's nowhere to be found. He has no birth certificate even social security number", he said looking deep in thought.

"You did what? Why would you do that?", I asked feeling myself getting angry. "I just wanted to be sure that he was who he said he was. Minnette, I was looking out for you. You're the only woman I've ever loved so when you told me you were married to him, I had to do it. I had to find out everything about him so that I could understand why you chose him over me", he defended himself.

"So are you happy with what you found? Was it worth it?", I asked feeling like strangling my own boss. "The hell I am. If I didn't do it then I wouldn't have found out that he's working with the Mafia", he said and I could have sworn the shock I got was out of this world. "What?", I asked again for the sake of my sanity. "Think about it Minnette, only the people who work with the Mafia have their records sealed", he said with confidence.

"So does the special unit that works for the military doing undercover ops!", I said making him furrow his brows. "What do you mean? Like a spy?", he asked and I nodded. "You're serious?", he asked with all the seriousness this time. "Yes, Winston! I thought it was that obvious. I tell my family that he's a soldier because that's his cover", I said making him run his hand across his face looking frustrated.

"Are you sure?", he asked again and I nodded. "Fuck! I feel like a jerk now", he said making me chuckle. That got his attention. "You are a jerk Winston", i said and we both started laughing. "Can I assume that you'll stop doing a background check on my husband now?", I asked hoping it was the end of it. "Yes... I'm sorry and when I meet him... if I meet him, I'll apologise to him as well", he said making me nod and return to my desk.

Work was crazy due to the event we had. Winston was able to get more customers and they all wanted to start working with us immediately so I had to schedule meetings and prepare contracts. The back and forth to legal was so exhausting that the only thing I was happy with was seeing Ben's face every time I went to his office. Yes, he was the head of the legal department so my stuff kinda happened faster than other people every time I went to him.

"I'm surprised that Max didn't kick the shit out of him", he said while reviewing the changes Winston made. "Remind me why you guys don't like doing these reviews online again", I said with furrowed brows when I saw that he didn't approve the changes Winston suggested... again. "Well sweet cheeks, it's because we're old and we both like writing things, it's easy for me to remember", he said then poked my nose making me huff.

"You should consider wearing sneakers. Briella does it every time, she has a pair that she keeps at her desk for emergencies", he said making me smile. He rarely spoke about his girlfriend. "I will definitely be doing that, I'll tell Max to go buy me a pair tomorrow since he's spending his whole break at Seb's.

"How is Sebastian? Has he finally settled down?", he asked making me raise a brow. "You should know, you two were thick as thieves until you pretended to grow up", I joked making him smile. "I fell in love Minnette, you should know how that feels considering you're head over heels for a certain veteran", he said making me roll my eyes and rush for the stairs before I missed Winston. He was leaving in an hour and he hated being given things last minute.

I walked in not looking around to see who he was with. "Just when I thought you did well this time around", I looked up and saw Winston's father.

The man hated me with all his might.

Coming to think of it, what was wrong with me and the fathers of the men I dated? "Mr. Everett, how have you been?", I asked making him look at me from head to toe. "I've been well Minnette. So what is it that you do here?", he asked sarcastically. "I'm his PA Sir", i said feeling my body trembling. "Oh still can't do anything but follow my son around. Very exhausting really, I thought you could have done better with time. Turns out you're still good for no-", "Father enough! Get the fuck out of my office or I'll have you thrown out", Winston shouted making me gasp.

I'd never seen him so angry before, it was scary. His father stood up and fixed his jacket with his eyes still on me, I wanted to turn invisible. "Listen to me young lady, next time I come here, I better not see you or you'll be sorry", he said then walked out of Winston's office.

"Come on Minnette, don't do this, I beg you", Winston said when he found me packing my things, it didn't take a genius to know that I was leaving for good. "Winston, this is for the best, I don't want any trouble. It will be better this way, trust me", I said then walked out of the office. He followed me but stopped when he found Max waiting for me at the entrance of the building. "Hey husband", i said trying my best not to cry. "What did he do?", Max asked while panting.

A Werewolf Warrior's WifeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara