Part ix - Duty calls

Maximus' POV

I've never eaten so many burgers in my life.

"So what do you think?", Domitian asked while handing me a beer. "It's the barbecue special and crab burgers for me, what about you babe?", I asked Minnette who was busy posting our challenge on her Instagram page. I took her phone away making her furrow her brows. Her attempt at looking pissed ended up making her look cute, her dark green eyes and messy bun didn't help much.

"What do you want?", she asked making Domitian laugh. "You know the least you can do when invited to recipe testing is be present right?", he said in a voice that demanded respect making her face fill with guilt. "Sorry Dad", she said looking like a kid caught stealing cookies.

"So what do you think?", I asked again making her turn her tissue where she wrote the recipe numbers. "Number 5 and 8", she said as if it was supposed to mean something. I knew what it meant but Domitian didn't. "What the hell does that mean?", he asked making me laugh.

"It means she was marking down the meals as they were served, so she's also going for the barbecue special and crab", I said making her face light up. "Yap... can I have my phone back?", she asked with puppy dog eyes. 'Give her the phone or you're not shifting for a decade!', Silver finally said making me return the phone in a rush. "Thank you Silver", she said then kissed my cheek. "You little m-", "What kind of nickname is Silver?", Domitian asked making me speechless. Fuck! I forgot he was with us. "It's ours old man, get your own", Nette played it well, I was impressed.

'Sorry Max, we need you at the pack. The King was attacked and they kidnapped the Luna Queen. He's losing his nuts. We need all hands on deck', the mindlink from the Royal Beta invaded my mind as I was about to take a swing at my beer. 'Understood. I'll be there as soon as I can', I replied then drank the rest of the beer. I looked at Nette and she nodded. She sent me an empty text making me reach for my phone. I pretended to read it and get all serious.

"Everything ok son?", Domitian asked looking worried. "Yes, don't worry, it's just work stuff", I said with a weak smile. "You have to leave don't you?", he asked. "Unfortunately, but we're getting the two on the menu right?", I said trying to cheer him up. "Yes indeed and I have the perfect names for each", he said then pulled me in a hug. "Be safe son", he said while still hugging me. "Always am", i said then stepped aside allowing Minnette to hug her Dad goodbye too.

"Did something happen to Nimerah?", she asked looking worried too. "She has been kidnapped and they need all of us to go find her and bring her back", i said accelerating the car's speed. "Ok, do you need to pack anything out of the norm?", she asked and I shook my head. She remained quiet the rest of the way.

When we got home she packed the backpack and we rushed to the backyard. "I love you and I'm sorry our time had been cut short", i said then kissed her soft lips until she moaned.

I removed my clothes and then allowed Silver to take over. He transformed and stretched. He licked Minnette who hugged him then pulled back, he bit our backpack and stormed into the forest.

'This is weird. I feel lighter than usual', Silver said and I did notice we were going faster. 'It's Nette, we drank her blood', I said recalling the night I gave in to her request and bit her inner thigh. Coming to think of it, we have been feeling more connected than ever. Must be the bond. 'I wonder what will happen when we complete the mating process', he said with excitement. 'Me too buddy', I said then closed my eyes. I was going to need all the strength I could master by the time I reached the Royal Pack.

"That was fast. Were you close?", Riggs asked the moment he saw Silver trotting towards the border. 'No, it wasn't', I said confused. "Max, it usually takes you 6 hours to get here, you got here in two", he said as a matter of fact. 'Silver?', 'He's correct. I told you I felt lighter', he confirmed making me shrug my shoulders. I transformed back and put on my sports pants and wore my wedding ring. His eyes fell on my finger and he smiled. "How's my princess doing?", he asked as we walked to the pack house. "She's good. Adele? Has she popped yet?", I asked making him smile. He's so whipped. Worse than I am. "Not yet man, but anytime now. The nugget is too big that the doctor has admitted her just in case", he said.

Everyone was in the Alpha King's office. We got in and he finally released a breath. "I apologise for calling you like this. I know you have problems of your own", he said with guilt. "I don't mind Your Majesty. She knows my job's unpredictable", I said with my head held high even though I knew he could see through me. The Royal Beta shared the plan and we were all told what to do.

"I hate rogues", Riggs said while we were gearing up. Half of us were going to fight in human form with the Royal Beta while the rest were going with the Alpha King. We were going to scout the area that the Royal Beta said had suspicious activities and when confirmed visual they were going to come in and swipe the place. "What did they ever do to you before today?", Selene asked with her hand on her hip. "Apart from killing my little sister? Nothing at all", he said putting a silver blade on his back. "I'm sorry Riggs, I didn't know".

Selene was lethal and fierce on the battlefield but she had a caring heart and was the best colleague I could ever wish for.

She taught me everything I know about being a spy. I did the same with combat skills. "Ok ladies, let's bounce", Tyson said walking in with the fire power that was going to end the whole werewolf race.

"Chill big guy, Kira is not done yet", Selene said making us chuckle. Kira was never ready on time, not even when we were being sworn into the task force.

She rushed in filled with hickies making us look at her with confusion. "What? I had to have sex, what if it's my last day on earth huh?", she said while putting her gear on right in front of us. We weren't that surprised she was always carefree. Being a witch and a werewolf gave her the upper hand all the time, especially on the seduction part. She was the most feared assassin walking around in sheep's skin.

"Are we a ready team?", the Royal Beta asked and we all replied with 'yes sir', and moved out.