[ 008 ] chopper

𝐈 𝐇𝐎𝐍𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐋𝐘 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔

chapter eight ; chopper
[ season three, episode eight ]

chapter eight ; chopper[ season three, episode eight ]

HELICOPTER CRASH.

It was on the news before they got the call. A helicopter crashed, and it was on top of a building, threatening to fall off any minute. They had to step up.

Melisa, Otis, and Hermann were ordered to find the rotor, while everyone else went with Casey into the building to get the people out. And Squad went up to the roof.

"Hermann, what's your status?" Boden radioed him.

Hermann was running to find the rotor. "Looks like that dang rotor rolled all the way through the neighborhood like a wagon wheel." Otis and Melisa caught up with him. "But I think we're closing in on it."

Melisa ran through the broken fence first, and her eyes landed on the rotor— more importantly, the woman lying underneath it. "Hermann."

The three of them rushed over to the woman. "Hold on, we're gonna get you out of here," Hermann told her. They tried to lift it, but it was too heavy.

"Give me your halligan!" Hermann ordered Otis, who handed him the tool. "Go grab one of those stumps, drag it over here."

Otis did as he was told, and Melisa tried to comfort the woman, who was scared and in pain.

Otis came back. He put a piece of log on the ground. Hermann put two halligans together and attempted to lift the rotor.

Melisa helped Hermann, and Otis tried to pull the woman out, but it didn't work. She screamed out in pain when Otis tried to get her out.

"It's still too heavy," Otis told Hermann. "We have to disassemble the whole thing."

Melisa was pushing down on the rotor with Hermann, taking some of the pressure off the woman. "Get the tool bag," she told Otis.

Otis ran to get the tool bag. "Hey, listen," Hermann told the woman. "Look at me, all right? Can you breathe a little now?" She nodded. "Nice piece of jewelry you got here," he joked, making her laugh, which she soon regretted.

"Please, don't make me laugh."

"All right, sorry. Enough with the funny business, right?" Hermann grabbed his radio. "Hey, lieutenant, we located the rotor. We got a victim pinned under it. Pulling her out now."

"Roger that, Hermann," Casey responded.

Otis soon came back with the toolbox. Hermann and Melisa were still pushing down on the halligan, and their arms were getting tired. Hermann was updating the chief.

"I'm gonna die, aren't I?" The woman asked. She was obviously scared.

Melisa looked at her. "No, you're not."

"This kind of thing happens all the time," Hermann added. "Yesterday it happened twice. We're going to pop you out of there lickety-split." He looked at Otis. "How we looking?"

Otis took his jacket off. "There's a lot of bolts. This thing's top heavy." He shook his head. "If it drops..." he trailed off.

"We're gonna pull this hub apart piece by piece," Melisa informed the woman. Otis started removing the bolts. Once he did, he tried to remove the large part, but he had no luck. "What's wrong?"

"I don't know. It's stuck."

"Can you hold this by yourself, Hermann?"

Hermann nodded. "Go."

Melisa let go of the halligan carefully. She then went over to Otis to help him. They lifted it together, and luckily they got it off just as the paramedics arrived.

Otis grabbed the woman and pulled her from underneath the rotor and onto a backboard. Hermann helped them get her on the gurney.

"Guys," Melisa called out to them. She was looking at the rotor. "Look at this."

Hermann frowned. "What is that?"

"Looks like a drone." Otis grabbed it before they went after the paramedics. Hermann was walking next to the gurney talking to the woman they saved.

Otis walked up to Boden. "Chief, this was stuck on the rotor." He held up the drone. "It's a remote-controlled drone. There's a lot of kids flying them around these days."

꧁ ꧂

WORD TRAVELED FAST in a firehouse. Brett told Casey, who told Gabby, who told Melisa and Hermann, who told Mouch, and so on.

They understood why Cruz didn't want them to know— it was embarrassing. So, of course, they devised a plan to humiliate him.

Cruz went to his Zumba class the following day. He was told he had a full house, so he needed to be prepared. He stood in front of a mirror. "It's time to bring it up a notch, Joe. You bring them the magic." He pointed at himself. "You bring them the magic."

He then ran out, all hyped up, not even looking at who was there. "All right, everybody!" He shouted. "How we feeling tonight?" They cheered. "Can I hear you say zum—" he cut himself off. Once he stood in front of everyone, he got the chance to see who was there.

He stood frozen as he looked back at his smiling coworkers, who all cheered. Cruz walked up to Brett, and he was mad. "Come on!" Hermann exclaimed. "What's the hold up here? We paid a lot for this zima, not the yappity-yapp. Come on!"

"It's Zumba," Melisa corrected him for the hundredth time that day.

"All right. He knows what I mean."

Cruz shook his head, not wanting to do it. "You know what, forget it." He went to leave, but they stopped him.

Casey put his hands on Cruz's shoulders. "Come on. We're here. We're ready to go."

"Okay. But I take this very seriously."

Otis held his hands out. "By all means."

The magic started, and Cruz went and stood in front of them. "All right, kids! Let me see what you're made of!" He started dancing, and they did their best to follow his steps.

Melisa did her best to follow the dance, and she thought it was fun. In the back of her mind, she wished Shay was there too— enjoying the moment. And, of course, making fun of Cruz.

꧁   ꧂
WORDS: 1012
A/N: I love the Zumba scene.