[ 003 ] professional courtesy

𝐈 𝐇𝐎𝐍𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐋𝐘 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔

chapter three ; professional courtesy
[ season one, episode three ]

MELISA GOT HERSELF some coffee because it was the only way she could get through the last two hours of her shift

MELISA GOT HERSELF some coffee because it was the only way she could get through the last two hours of her shift. It was getting late. Hermann and Mouch were watching The Fresh Prince until the tv stopped working.

Peter walked in and looked at the clock. "Two hours left in the shift and no calls yet." The other three turned to look at him in disbelief. "That happen very often?"

"No freaking way," Melisa muttered, putting the coffee mug down.

"He did not just say that," Hermann added, annoyed. A moment later, the alarm went off. And Peter would learn not to make that comment again, especially after Casey scolded him.

Upon arriving at the scene, they could see immediately how serious the situation was. Two cars had collided, and one was about to fall off the bridge to the road below.

The firefighters jumped in immediately, and the paramedics got ready.

They had to stabilize the car. Melisa went to the other vehicle and got the door open. She got the driver out. He insisted that he was okay, but he was clearly drunk.

Melisa could smell the booze, and he had cans in the passenger seat. The officer told her he'd take care of it before Melisa joined her fellow firefighters. The car was going down, and she rushed over to help them stabilize it.

Squad arrived just then, and they had more hands, which helped.

They worked together to stabilize the car and keep the son and father calm. They would get them out through the windshield because it would be easier.

Melisa stepped back after the vehicle was stabilized and looked over at the other driver, only to see that he was gone. He wasn't at the scene. "Lieutenant," she called over to Casey.

The two approached the officer, who was standing by the drunk driver's car alone.

"Where's the driver?" Casey asked the officer.

The officer turned to them. "Uh, some officers took him to the hospital."

"You're kidding." Casey took his helmet off.

"No, he was complaining of leg pain, and you guys looked swamped over there, so..." he trailed off.

Melisa couldn't help but roll her eyes. Casey was annoyed as well, going out on the officer. "He should have been c-collared and transported properly."

The officer nodded. "My bad."

Melisa looked inside the car and was surprised to see it empty. She turned to the officer again. "There were empty beer cans on the passenger seat. They're gone. Did you bag them?"