[ 023 ] defcon 1

𝐈 𝐇𝐎𝐍𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐋𝐘 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔

chapter twenty-three ; defcon 1
[ season two, episode three ]

OTIS WAS WALKING the halls of the firehouse and picked up his pace when he saw Melisa

OTIS WAS WALKING the halls of the firehouse and picked up his pace when he saw Melisa. "Hey, Melisa, hold up."

Melisa stopped walking. She knew what he wanted. "Hey, Otis." She smiled at her mustached friend.

"I was just talking to Shay, and she told me the good news. About the apartment. Sounds tight."

"Thanks."

"Yeah, no problem," Otis brushed it off. "She did say it was a four-bedroom and that you guys might be looking for another roommate to defray the costs."

Melisa nodded. "Yeah. That's right."

"Hey, yo, Otis!" Cruz exclaimed, making his way over with Mouch. "We agreed we were going to come to her together."

"Why do you even need a new place, Cruz? Your apartment isn't bad."

"You spend a night in my neighborhood, lulled to sleep by gunfire."

"You try living two doors down from my mother."

Mouch turned to Melisa. "Now, Melisa. This is exactly the kind of drama you won't have to deal with if you choose a mellow, mature roommate." Cruz scoffed.

Melisa glanced between the three men. She hated being put in that position. They were all her friends. The smile on her face remained. "Guys, I can't choose, you know that. You're going to have to decide."

She walked away, and as she did so, she could hear them bickering.

꧁   ꧂

"WHY ARE YOU two so eager to move in with Three's Company anyway?" Mouch asked Otis and Cruz, who were playing chess at the long table.

"The ritual tail, Mouch," Cruz responded.

"The what now?"

Otis glanced at Cruz, who was looking at him, too, before turning to Mouch and answering the question. "Okay, between the three of them, think about how many beautiful women are going to be parading through the apartment."

"Imagine it," Joe adds. "Severide's out at a bar, he's chatting up some babe. She's got a friend. The fun doesn't have to stop there. All he has to say is, hey, let's take this back to my place where we can hang out with my awesome roommate, Joe."

"Brian."

"Pathetic," Mouch stated.

"Okay, Mouch, why do you want to be their roommate?"