15. {Bet}

The silence was deafening. It was loud enough for me to hear it in my sleep. My eyes opened slowly to discover the bed beside me was empty. Still, the fresh scent of her lingered on the sheets. She'd really changed her fragrance and at first, after the whole incident that day when we went to the cemetery, I didn't like it. Now, the scent of roses was growing on me.

I breathed it in as I rolled over in bed. There was a letter neatly resting on her side, waiting for me. I picked it up and read it:

Good morning, beautiful,

It was against my greatest desire to leave your side, but, alas, duty called at 8 am. I'll be in a meeting until one. Breakfast is on the way and the hotel's tour guide is taking a group sightseeing today. You can go if you'd like. Otherwise, you can just kick back in bed or enjoy a massage, whatever you want until I get back. I have something planned. ;⁠)

Love Drea.

A knock on the door startled me. "Room service!"

"Come in."

A middle-aged woman walked in rolling a cart behind her. The strong smell of rosemary filled my nose instantly. I spotted a bunch of it on the top of the cart, wrapped with pink and red ribbons and infused with a few stalks of lavender. She rolled the cart over. "I've got your breakfast." She picked up the bouquet and handed it to me. "From Ms Jones."

I couldn't help but laugh. Out of all the flowers in the world, even the fake ones, this woman chose a herb. Rosemary instead of flowers, how romantic. I brought it to my nose and took a whiff of that gorgeous scent. The lavender mixed with it was very calming. I set it aside to put in water later and accepted the food. "Thank you," I told the housekeeper.

She nodded and left. I slid out of bed to go brush my teeth and wash my face. Then I was back to attack breakfast. I decided to stroll down to the lobby and inquire about the tour they were having. It was starting at ten and should be back by midday so I decided to go.

They took us to downtown Los Angeles. A business and residential district packed with interesting attractions. Little Tokyo, China town and art districts featuring some of the richest cultures of the city. We walked Olvera Street, which is in proximity to the 19th-century Los Angeles Plaza, which is the oldest part of Los Angeles. We took a stroll through the Grand Central Market. A 30 thousand square foot arcade that features an array of fantastic food options from all over the world. I even found food from my home country and it was a breath of fresh air. I grabbed something for Drea too, and I know she'll love it. Outside the market, we took Angel's flight, which is a 298ft inclined railway. Up high, we could get a delightful view of the entire city of LA and it was spectacular. We visited the Broadway District and peeked at the Walt Disney Concert Hall designed by Frank Gari along with the neighbouring contemporary art museum, the Broad.

When we returned to the hotel, it was already past one o'clock and I was sweating. I don't think I've ever sweated this hard in my entire life. I texted Drea to let her know the tour was running late and I'd be back after one. When I got to our suite, I found her in the main space, lounging with the others.

"AJ said you two haven't done it yet. Is that true?" Kylie bombarded me as I walked in. "Because if it is, then that makes this whole thing a lot worse and I just can't understand how she'd be this hung up on you. No offence."

"Kylie, what the fuck?" Drea turned to Kylie, glaring.

"Well, you won't tell us, so maybe she will."

I was stunned, but after a few moments shrugged it off. "None taken. As for why she's hung up on me, all I can say about that is, not everything is centred around sex. Personalities do exist. People are more than just their bodies."