We Aren't The Same

Start from the beginning

The tears trickling down her cheeks before now erupted violently as she began sobbing uncontrollably. "I didn't make it," she weakly uttered between sobs, tears mixing with nasal sniffles.

Aikara continued to comfort her, patting her head. "There, there," he repeated without fail until Ruby finally calmed down a few minutes later.

"Thank you, Aka-nii," she said, sniffling in between.

Aikara's smile brightened as he gently kissed Ruby's forehead—a tender gesture expressing his unconditional love and unwavering support. "No problem at all, Ruby," he whispered softly. "I love you, and I'll always be here to comfort you whenever you need me."

Ruby's heart swelled with warmth and affection as she held onto Aikara tighter, overwhelmed with joy and gratitude. In that moment, she felt an immense sense of contentment, knowing she had a brother like Aikara who loved her unconditionally.

Leaning into the hug, Ruby couldn't help but think of their late mother, Ai. She closed her eyes momentarily, imagining what it would be like if Ai were there.

A wave of bittersweet emotions washed over Ruby. She yearned, with all her heart, for their mother to witness their achievements and hear her proud voice. She longed for the comfort of Ai's presence, her guidance, and the reassuring embrace only a mother could provide.

But in that moment, as Ruby clung tightly to Aikara, she found solace in the love they shared as siblings. She knew that their mother's spirit would always be with them, guiding them from within their hearts.

With a gentle sigh, Ruby released the hug, her eyes shimmering with a mix of emotions. She looked up at Aikara, her voice filled with a soft, heartfelt tone. "Thank you, Aka-nii," she whispered. "You're a great brother, you always comfort me during hard times. And when you're here, it makes me feel like mama with us, even though we all know she's not."

___

"Very well then, we eagerly anticipate your participation next time," Aqua responded to the phone call, ending it before casually tossing the device towards Gotanda. "Thanks, Director."

Gotanda caught the phone and placed it on the table, taking a puff of his cigarette. With a wry smile, he remarked, "You certainly have a talent for fooling your own sister. I'm curious, though, how did you manage to deceive your brother? He should have recognized you instantly with his talent." 

Aqua, already seated on the floor in front of the computer, began editing the clip. "I was certain Aikara wouldn't listen to our conversation. Knowing Ruby's personality, she would never put it on loudspeaker for fear of worrying others in case of rejection."

Gotanda shook his head, disapproving of Aqua's calculated approach. "You know, trying to predict everyone's reactions based on their personality isn't healthy. You're gradually becoming more mechanical."

"If you're so concerned about me, why not use that time to help me finish this edit?" Aqua responded nonchalantly.

Sighing, Gotanda rubbed the back of his head. "Look, kid, I just can't fathom why you'd go to such lengths to crush your sister's dream. She's a stunning girl who might actually have a chance."

"No need to remind me," Aqua replied, his gaze cast downward. Then, facing Gotanda with intensity, he declared, "But I won't let Ruby become an idol. I won't let her make the same mistake Ai made. Never."

Gotanda groaned, exasperated by Aqua's response. "You and your sister complex. You're overly protective."

___

(Aqua POV)

"I'm home," I announced upon entering the house, swiftly removing my shoes and placing them neatly in front of me.