Chapter 53

Why....why is it raining again? Why does this world has to have the rain tainted with despair? Karter thought as he stared at them with dark, blank eyes. He could hear muffled screams and wailing and sobbing from around him but he couldn't pick out which one was his. Was his even there? He felt like was listening to them from afar, foggy voices muddled with rain and wind. Something was bubbling in his throat, he could feel his body tremble, and the moment he thought a scream was about to come out, something- no someone shook him violently.

"Karter!" Came a very familiar voice. He blinked and shook his head, and when he could finally focus his eyes, he could see his mate talking to him...touching his face... and rubbing his eyes. He felt his face crumple in pain and a loud sob came out of him and he could see Ivan break into tears as well. Now he could hear everything, loud and clear and so painful that he almost screamed with frustration. 

He looked around him watching everyone gathered together around the pile of bodies, desperately trying to hug their loved ones, hoping that they could hear even a small breath or heartbeat in their cold, lifeless bodies, denying the fact they were no longer the smiling faces everyone loved. A pile of bodies just like the rouges, but the only difference was, it wasn't the rouges this time. It was his family....the family he left behind and escaped with his mate. 

 __________________________ 

 The whole pack was drenched in a solemn atmosphere. Everywhere you looked, you could see someone crying, sobbing, some praying to the goddess, others comforting the ones who just lost their family. The dead bodies of Ivan's security team were transported to the hospital and every doctor on duty was busy examining them to find out about their deaths. This incident had hit their pack harder than anything has in the last 20 years. It was unexpected and gruesome, and they were seething with rage and despair.

 The Alpha, Luna, and all their confidants were seated in the office with similar looks on their faces. They were crushed by the news of their own being found dead on their land. Ivan was getting stressed and resentful towards himself as he felt he failed to protect his pack again. "What...do we do? How can we stop this when we don't even know why this is happening?" Spoke William, who had his hand intertwined with Lucas, who felt equally helpless. This was so out of the ordinary that no one had any idea what to do in this situation. They couldn't imagine what Ivan or Karter were feeling, as they took responsibility for the pack's well-being. The wailing from the outside didn't stop, those who couldn't move from the place where they found their loved ones. Karter looked at Ivan in worry. He felt like throwing up at the tension and stress on his mate's face, he wanted to do something but what? What could they even do?

 "Call everyone back." Ivan said in a menacing voice. He was tired of being this helpless, pathetic excuse of an Alpha. He was going to make this right, for his pack, his mate, and himself. Everyone looked at him in confusion.

 "What-"

"Everyone who is outside pack borders, I don't care how far, or for what purpose. Call them back immediately and put a lockdown on the pack. No one is to step outside for anything. Increase the frequency of the patrol." 

 "Do you want me to call the warriors back from Simon's pack as well?" Alex asked. 

"I'm pretty sure they are not doing anything thereafter he asked them for help." He added.

 "Yes, call them. Tell them not to act suspicious and just get out of there by tomorrow. Our relationship with Simon's pack is deteriorating from his involvement in the attack. Break off any connection we have with their pack until we find out what really is happening. Others who are on business, or visiting, or whatever. Everyone needs to be together. We are going to make the visit to the Council as soon as we get word from the doctor." He made up his mind and got up.