Chapter One: Oblivious

Noah, warrior of Shadow Pack above

TRIGGER WARNING

Noah POV

I puke into the toilet, feeling acid in my throat, taking sharp breaths as an awful sensation in my chest intensifies. Black dots are dancing in my vision, and my wolf whimpers in pain in my subconscious.

How many hours it is since it started? How many hours more before it will finally be finished?

Fuck, I can't believe I'm like that; I can't believe I allowed something like that to happen to me?

I am a fucking warrior of Shadow Pack, a strong one. I shouldn't go through hell like that because of this stupid pack slut!

The bathroom door opens, and I see my best friend, Nick, standing in there. He has a sad look on his face as he squats to help me get back on my feet. I don't fight with him or argue; I'm in too much pain to do anything.

Nick helps me to lie down on my bed.

"Fuck, how long before that fucking mating bond will shatter?" I hiss in pain.

"You know that's not how it works." Nick says sadly, "You rejected your mate yesterday. Some bonds shatter instantly, some need more time, but sooner or later, it will happen."

I snort, irritated; I don't think I can handle more hours of this fucking pain. It's a miracle I haven't done anything to myself, although I wanted to dig my claws in my chest and rip my heart away to stop the suffering finally.

"Try to get some sleep," Nick says with a voice full of compassion.

I think he can stick his compassion up his ass, but I don't have any energy to say anything; I lie down, praying silently for this pain to stop as Nick give me sleeping pills.

It seems to be relatively silent in the packhouse today; I think as I wake up, I don't know how long after, my bedroom is empty, but it is still night. Thank Goddess, I don't have patrol duty today, so I can suffer without anybody noticing. 

My Alpha isn't the most understanding man in the world; neither is his Beta. Well, to tell the truth, Shadow Pack isn't the friendliest place in the world. It's kind of not our fault; we have just had some major problems during the latest years. We are known to be brutal; I would say ruthless. Our Alpha likes killing rogues, and we were also the target of hunter's attacks for a couple of years now, which caused a lot of harm and pushed the pack into a state of poverty. We have constant problems with a steady supply; many previous allies have turned their backs on us. And yet, as an orphaned and only child, who lost his parents over a decade ago, I have nowhere to go. I don't know any other way than to obey my Alpha. I know only this; I know only Shadow Pack and nothing more.

The dull pain in my chest got a bit better, and I manage to sit; feeling tired, I don't want to sleep. Despite the pain, my wolf is restless and still angry at me, so he won't let me sleep; I know that.

I stand up and look at myself in the mirror. I am a high man with long hair; my Native heritage is evident in my look. I am feared and respected here because I'm strong and don't get scared easily. Three years ago, I managed to stop the big rouge attack on our pack by commanding my squad during the patrol. Alpha praised me a lot and even suggested that I could be a Head Warrior one day, allowing me to move into the packhouse. The privilege reserved only for the selected ones in our pack.

Nick lives outside the packhouse; he came here today only because I mindlikend him that I needed help. I also told him about everything that happened a day ago except for one thing, who my mate was. He didn't ask; he only kept an eye on me for the evening.