30 || How The Truth Unfolds

song: haunted - taylor swift

.....

matteo verrati

I'm not fucking angry.

I'm hurt. 

I didn't know it was possible to actually feel like you were stabbed in the heart but the phantom pain makes my chest throb violently.

The men who raised me drilled it into my brain that I was to never beg. Never show weakness. And I did everything they told me not to for her. And she lied. 

She didn't wanna burden me? Doesn't she know that there is nothing I wouldn't do for her? No lines I wouldn't cross, no heavens I wouldn't move. 

I shouldn't have walked away but I needed space, I needed to think and breathe before I said something that I didn't mean and would regret. When it comes to Aurora I never think before I act and I'm trying to change for her. For our future that I know we'll have.

Eventually I'll forgive her for lying and she'll forgive me for walking away. The love I have for her is so strong we can overcome anything. That's why I'm not stressed over losing her.

Because I know her, I send her a text reassuring I'll be home later and I'm not mad, I just want to think. 

I'd already be home with her if Seb didn't call an urgent meeting.

Walking into the meeting room, everyone is already seated. I don't say anything as I sit and neither does anyone else as a thick file is plopped down in front of me. "What is this?" I raise a brow at Seb.

"Open it," He nods his head towards the file.

Inside the file are hundreds of pictures of murdered men. All their information on the left, pictures of their dead bodies on the right. Vincent's men.

"Who did this?" I shut the file.

Sebastian shrugs. "Fuck if I know but I found something you'll want to see. Do you know anyone named Greta?" He asks.

"No?" 

He nods like he knew that would be my answer. "After we found their bodies we searched through their belongings, phones, computers, all that shit. You remember Aldo? Vincent's second hand?"

"Yes."

"After you killed Vincent he was particularly angry and went on a rampage, leaving the city. A couple weeks after Vincent's death and after he left, he started having conversions with a woman named Greta. I'll have you read it." He hands me a phone thats screen is smashed and still has a few dried blood drops on it.

Greta

Nov. 15

Vincent's dead.

You remember that debt you owe me? It's time to pay it. 

How?

I'll tell you in person. Meet me at the place where this all started.

November 15 was 5 days after I killed Vincent. I look up from the phone. "Where's 'the place this all started'"?