Chapter 45

Liam

"When acid dissolves limestone, what is formed...?" Mr. Sozwick asked, scanning the room.

A quick glance to the side revealed that almost everyone was raising their hand. The training for the selection competition took place twice a week before class. I had no idea whose brilliant idea it was because, in my opinion, being smart didn't mean not needing sleep.

"Carbon dioxide," Aden answered when called upon. Allie clapped her hands excitedly, and the two of them exchanged whispers that I couldn't make out.

Annoyed, I started drawing circles on a piece of paper with my pen. I didn't have anything against Allie, really. In fact, she was pretty cool, but that didn't change the fact that she was always glued to Aden whenever we were here. Maybe it made me a bad brother, but three was one too many. And I couldn't shake off the feeling that I was that number three.

"Liam. What do you think is the correct answer?"

I jolted upright as Mr. Sozwick called on me. Damn, I hadn't even realized what question he had asked.

"Um..." I glanced at Aden, seeking help, and my brother nodded subtly.

"Sulfur, oxygen, and hydrogen," Aden answered for me, and Mr. Sozwick pursed his lips in dissatisfaction.

"Thank you, Aden. But actually, I was asking your brother," he said.

"Sorry," Aden grimaced.

"Okay, the next question is for you, Liam. Which elements..."

It felt like an eternity before the class finally ended. As soon as the bell rang, I grabbed my backpack and left the room.

Impatiently, I waited in the hallway for Aden to say goodbye to Allie and join me. Since Allie didn't attend our school, she and a few others had to take a bus back to their school.

"You really hate this, don't you?" When I didn't respond, Aden gave me a quick glance, and I shrugged.

"I told you I didn't feel like doing it," I replied grumpily, turning into the next corridor.

"I know. But before you know it, all of this will be over," Aden said confidently.

I nodded, even though I wasn't so sure about that.

"You owe me something once all this is over," I stated firmly, and Aden grinned.

"You got it."

_____________

Thea

"If you take any longer, you might as well not bother changing," Natalie's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. Gym class had just ended, and a quick glance around the locker room showed that everyone else was already finished. Oops.

"Sorry," I grimaced and grabbed my t-shirt.

"Hurry up, will you? We're going to be late for English," Natalie inspected her fingernails while I hurriedly changed.

I didn't know why, but Natalie hadn't left me alone in the past few days, so school wasn't as bad anymore. People weren't talking as much about the photo, but some seemed unable to let it go. Two guys from a lower grade even bragged about having slept with me. Ugh. As if I would ever do something like that. But thanks to Natalie, I wasn't alone during breaks anymore, and things were slowly returning to normal. You could almost say we were friends now, although I would never dare to ask her.