Chapter 42

Thea

Tiredly, I rested my head against the car window. After recovering from the initial shock, the day hadn't been so bad after all.

We had stacked the full garbage bags and then, like every year, played that competition where you slid down the sloped side of the roof. Noah had won again. He could even slide down while standing without falling (at least most of the time). Jackson came in a close second. The game had distracted us from work for a while, which was good because we were all exhausted. But when Coulder crashed too hard into the garbage bags and started crying, Taylor ended the game, and we had to clean up everything.

Now it was already dark outside, and my stomach growled.

As soon as we arrived home, I reached for Susan's hand and went with her to the bathroom. We peeled off our wet and muddy clothes and threw everything into the laundry basket. Susan stepped into the shower first and let out a relieved sigh.

I laughed and sat wearily on the toilet seat. I hadn't felt it as strongly during work, but now my muscles and joints were burning. I longed for my bed and a good night's sleep. Before I got too tired and couldn't function anymore, I went to the sink and tried to clean the dirt from under my fingernails.

Once Susan finished, we switched places, and I stood under the warm water stream. I watched the dirty water disappear down the drain and sighed. It felt good.

I heard Susan fidgeting on the other side of the shower curtain.

"Are you okay over there?" I asked, and Susan vigorously shook her head.

"I can't untangle the knots anymore," she whined and frustratedly threw the brush onto the small rug in front of the sink.

"You're right, sister," I muttered as I ran my fingers through my own hair. It wouldn't be fun.

I would have liked to stay in the shower longer, but soon the warm water would run out, and the others probably wanted a warm shower too.

I wrapped myself in a towel and stepped out of the shower. When my gaze fell on Susan, my eyes widened in surprise.

"What are you doing?" I snapped, grabbing the scissors from Susan's hands before she ruined her hairstyle.

My sister snorted indignantly.

"Hey, give that back. I want to cut out the knots."

"Forget it, Taylor is already mad. We should stop doing dumb things for today. I'll help you with the knots in a moment," I explained, placing the scissors out of her reach on the shelf above the sink.

My sister crossed her arms defiantly and sat on the floor. While I brushed my own hair, I watched her in the mirror. Susan seemed somehow angry.

"Are you okay?" I asked and turned around. My brush got caught in a pretty nasty knot, and I grimaced. Maybe I should reconsider the scissors too.

Susan nodded unconvincingly, and I furrowed my brow.

"Come on, tell me. Maybe I can help," I encouraged her, sitting on the floor in front of my sister.

"How far is it to Louisiana?" she asked finally, and I gave her a questioning look. The question caught me off guard.

"Uh, I don't know, one or two hours by car?" I guessed, sitting down in front of my sister.

"Do you think Taylor will move out when he goes to study there?" she asked, and her eyes began to glisten suspiciously.

It took me a moment to understand her words. Taylor had no plans to study. Not that I knew of, at least. And he would tell us if he was leaving, right?