Chapter 25

Thea

I grabbed my phone, keys, and wallet, throwing them all into my backpack. After one last glance in the mirror, I hurried down the stairs.

"Are you leaving already?" Taylor's voice startled me, causing me to almost slip on the stairs. I flailed my arms and grabbed onto the railing.

"Man, you scared me" I gasped for breath.

"Sorry" Taylor laughed as he emerged from the kitchen and leaned against the doorway. "Where are you going? The fair doesn't start for at least another hour"

"I know" I hopped down the last step of the stairs, a habit I had kept from when I was a little kid, even though I was no longer one. "I want to stop by Natalie's place before that to apologize"

I could tell that Taylor wasn't entirely on board with the idea. "She'll probably come to the fireworks too. Why don't you do it then?"

"I want to ask her in private. I think she'll be more open if we're alone" I explained "I wrote down her address from the class list, I thought it would be easier that way"

Taylor scrutinized me skeptically. "And are you sure you won't end up fighting again?"

I felt myself blush. "That was a one-time thing" I clarified, feeling embarrassed.

"Okay" Taylor shrugged "If that's what you think. Should I come with you? If you give me five minutes, I could—"

"Stop worrying" I interrupted him, laughing. "I promise you I won't fight her. I just want to talk."

Taylor grimaced. "I know you want to talk. But who knows what Natalie is like. If you ask her at the fair, I could keep an eye on you guys"

As I looked at my brother in silence, he raised his hands in surrender.

"Alright, alright. Stop playing the protective older brother. I'll stay out of it."

I grinned because that was exactly what I had been thinking.

"You've got this" I patted his arm, and he snorted.

"See you later" I chirped and quickly slipped out of the front door before he could find a way to accompany me.

I loved my brother for always looking out for me, but Natalie wasn't a monster. And this was something I had to do on my own.

I entered the address into Google Maps. A twenty-minute walk. I pulled my cap down a little lower over my forehead and set off.

When I reached the designated address, I furrowed my brow in confusion. Was I in the right place? I stood in front of a long residential block. The siding was dirty and cracked. The narrow path to the door was overgrown with weeds and, together with the creaking entrance gate, set the perfect scene for a horror movie. Skeptically, I surveyed the numerous windows that seemed to stare down at me with a desolate gaze.

Our house was far from being well-maintained or in good condition, but this was simply run-down.

Carefully, I walked up to the front door and glanced at the doorbell labels. If her name wasn't listed here, I had simply made a mistake and ended up at some drug den. Those things happen.

I took a sharp breath when I actually spotted the name Singer. The letters were only scribbled with a marker over a shattered nameplate, but they were there.

I thought about the fashionable clothes and expensive jewelry Natalie always wore. Something didn't add up here.

As they say, there was only one way to find out. Determined, I pressed the doorbell. Nothing happened. I rang it again, but still, there was no response. I was about to give up in disappointment when my gaze fell upon the door. It creaked slightly in the wind, and when I cautiously nudged it with my foot, it swung open.