Chapter 20

Taylor

"She doesn't want to go in"

I sighed. Susan's blood test results had been evaluated this morning, so Dad took her to the doctor. But apparently, Susan refused to go into the doctor's office with him. Of all times, now when I was out with Callie.

"Give her to me"

There was a brief rustling on the other end of the line before Susan's voice came through.

"Taylor?"

"Hey, kiddo. What's wrong? Dad says you don't want to go to the doctor" I asked, heading toward one of the benches in the park.

"I don't want to" my little sister whined. I heard the car door close and some shuffling as she settled into the seat. "Taylor, I'm scared"

"What are you scared of?" I asked as I sat down on the bench. I couldn't recall Susan causing trouble when she had to go to the doctor before.

My sister didn't answer, and I could almost envision her nervously chewing on her lip. I waited, and Susan took a deep breath.

"I don't want to go with Dad" she finally said softly, and I paused in surprise.

"You don't want to go with Dad... Why?" What had that idiot done now? Unbelievable that he couldn't even manage to take his daughter to the doctor without causing problems.

"He keeps talking about Mom. That she has already had the same examination and that she didn't make a fuss, and that the doctors have known us since we were little. It's..."

"Scary" I finished her sentence and sighed.

"Mmmhmm" Susan murmured.

"Listen, Susan, you really don't have to be afraid, okay? There's nothing bad happening today. And Dad is just a bit stressed and unsure of how to talk about Mom, so don't be mad at him, alright?"

"I didn't want to be mad" Susan sounded dejected.

"I know. Just get it over with quickly, and if we manage to do it, we'll go out for ice cream tonight. How does that sound?"

"Oh yeah!" Susan exclaimed, and I laughed. Ice cream always worked.

"Taylor?"

"Hmm?"

"Can you come with me to the doctor next time?" Susan sounded unsure, and I wasn't sure what to say for a moment. I was glad she wanted me there, but it also scared me that she was placing more trust in me than in Dad.

"Promise" I finally said because it was the only answer I could give.

"Thank you" she replied shyly. "I'm going now" And just like that, she hung up, and I stared at my phone for a moment.

"Everything okay?" Callie looked at me with concern, and I grinned.

"Crisis averted" I declared, getting up.

____________

Liam

"Darn it. I wish I had the guts to skip school because pretty much anything would have been better than this. School was awful. School without Aden was hell!

I reached for the back of my head and let out a frustrated sigh. Tom had nothing better to do than stick his stupid chewing gum in my hair, and I couldn't get the damn thing out. I should go to the bathroom so I could see better, but they were always crowded during break, and I could do without more dumb remarks.