Chapter 9

Taylor

I stood with Charly outside the school, chatting away.

Tonight, I would finally go to the movies with Callie. Sure, it wasn't anything special. We had often hung out after school, but it was the first time we were officially going on a date, and I wanted everything to go perfectly.

I was in such a good mood that I actually managed to be on time for school.

"What's going on with your brothers?" Charly pointed towards the bus stop. Jackson, Thea, and the twins had just gotten off the bus and seemed to be arguing about something, as usual.

"No idea, they've been like that since yesterday" I said, watching as Jackson tripped Liam and Liam dropped his backpack. I made a mental note to talk to him about it later. Thea seemed to have the same idea because she was angrily talking to Jackson. A pile of folders and papers had scattered across the street. Some sheet had gotten caught in the hedge by the sidewalk, and Liam was trying to retrieve it. Jackson continued walking, laughing, while Aden picked up Liam's remaining belongings. Without looking, Aden stepped onto the road, and it took a moment for my brain to process the screeching sound of the car slamming on its brakes. I leaped up, but I was too far away to reach in time.

But seconds before the car reached Aden, Jackson shoved him aside. Both of my brothers slid across the icy road, while the car came to a stop a few meters away.

I ran over and crouched down between my brothers. Shocked, I helped Aden sit up.

"Are you guys okay?" I asked, concerned, checking Aden for any injuries. That was too close. If Jackson hadn't pushed him aside, the car would have definitely hit him.

Aden seemed unharmed, although he looked quite pale. A glance at Jackson revealed that he had also managed to sit up. I furrowed my brow in concern when I noticed him clutching his right arm against his chest.

"Jacks—"

"I'm fine" Jackson interrupted me. He stood up, wincing slightly. He must have sprained something. I was about to say something when Jackson turned to Aden.

"Are you insane? You can't just run onto the road without looking!" he snapped at the younger one before huffing and heading towards school.

I let out a sigh and patted Aden reassuringly on the shoulder. "Well, if you take away the tone, you could almost believe he was actually worried."

____________

I was in the cafeteria when my gaze fell upon Jackson. He still held his right arm bent, and when Lennon playfully patted him on the shoulder, a flicker of pain flashed in his eyes. So, he had indeed injured himself.

With a sigh, I stood up, intending to go to him, but then the bell rang. Students started pouring out of the cafeteria, and instead, I squeezed my way through to the lockers in the middle school section. Thankfully, Jackson was indeed at his locker, and I leaned against the one next to his. Jackson briefly looked up before pulling a book out of his locker.

"What classes do you have now?" I asked.

"Religion and English" Jackson answered without taking his gaze off his locker.

"It's not a big deal if you miss them. Come on, we're going to see a doctor now."

Jackson looked caught off guard, and he followed my gaze to his arm, which he still held bent. Slowly, he let his arm drop. Then he sighed.

"I'm fine, Taylor. It's just a sprain" Jackson said, about to turn around when I reached for his arm.

Jackson gasped in pain and doubled over with an anguished expression. Startled, I let go of him. I hadn't expected it to be that bad.