Chapter 11

Taylor

"I'm sorry... because of this" I pointed at Coulder, who was standing in front of a shop window filled with teddy bears.

Callie and I had planned to grab ice cream after school. Since our date had once again fallen through, we spontaneously decided to skip class and spend some time together. But of course, even that wasn't meant to be. Just half an hour later, Coulder's school called. Apparently, he and a few others had caused a disturbance in class and were sent home early.

"It's not a big deal" Callie chuckled softly. "I like your siblings"

I just grunted in response.

"Tayloooor!" Coulder turned to me with wide eyes and pointed at a small blue elephant behind the shop window. I groaned inwardly, mentally preparing myself for a meltdown when I told him that we couldn't afford it, when the vibration of my phone distracted me. I furrowed my brow as I read the message.

My gaze landed on Coulder, and when he noticed, he looked at me questioningly.

"What?" he asked.

"I got a message from Mackenzie. She's asking if she can take you to Elliot's birthday party."

"Cool, when is it?" Coulder asked excitedly, and I sighed.

"At 4 p.m. Today!" I replied irritably, glancing at my watch. It was 3:39 p.m. Great.

"What? I didn't know it was today" Coulder defended himself as he noticed my expression.

"Are you even invited?" I asked. The name Elliot didn't ring a bell to me, and considering how much Coulder talked every day, that meant something!

"Of course, I'm invited!" he exclaimed indignantly. "Elliot is new at school. He's from Canada, cool, right? We played soccer together..."

"Okay, okay. It's just that I haven't seen any invitation or anything at home"

Coulder opened his mouth a few times without saying anything until it apparently dawned on him. "He gave me the card before last week's football game. I put it in Noah's jacket" he explained.

"Noah's jacket, of course" I replied dryly. "And where do you have to go?"

Coulder thought for a moment again, then mumbled, "Anemonenweg" and hung his head.

"Coulder!" I exclaimed in frustration. That was on the other side of the city, which meant I had to drive him there.

__________

Thea

Why today of all days? Any other day would have been less terrible, but today? Today was not a good day.

With a sigh, I wiped off my shoe, which I had just cleaned as best I could (due to a small dog poop mishap this morning) in the school restroom.

I had known it from the moment I woke up. Maybe not when I tripped over my school bag, but definitely when my Nutella sandwich fell onto my new sweater. Of course, with the chocolate side down:

Today was my unlucky day. Everything went wrong. I missed the bus, left my homework at home, accidentally packed Coulder's lunchbox (of course, he had cheese sandwiches - I haaaate cheese!!!), and finally, the dog poop I slipped on.

Sighing, I put my shoe back on. Of course, my sock was immediately wet, and my steps squeaked on the linoleum floor of the school hallways.

The bell had rung a few minutes ago, but I didn't bother trying to make it to class on time. I had art class now, so it couldn't be that bad.